I'm Thinking I Could Use A New Flashlight

____________________

The Hunters broke camp as quickly as they'd set it up.

Percy, Thalia, and Grover stood shivering in the snow unlike the unlike me and the Hunters who didn't feel a thing, and Artemis stared into the east like she was expecting something.

Bianca sat off to one side, talking with Nico.

It was clear from his gloomy face that she was explaining her decision to join the Hunt.

It was selfish of her.

Selfish and heartless.

Going off to join the Hunt and choosing immortality over her family and just... abandoning her brother..

..Abandoning him like he means nothing...

Suddenly, Percy nudges my arm.

I turn to him to see a worried expression.

He asks, "You alright?"

I just stare for a moment and tell him, "I'm fine."

Instead of waiting for a reply, I walk towards Nico who was sitting alone now that Bianca had gotten up to join the other Hunters. He just sat there with a dejected look as I sat down next to him. I wasn't exactly sure he even noticed I came over.

After a moment, he looks over at me definitely noticing now.

I could see the pain in his eyes.

The pain of feeling abandoned. Of feeling unwanted.

I tell him, "She barely even hesitated during her decision."

Percy would probably say that that's the wrong thing to say.

But I don't care about right or wrong things to say. The only thing that matters is the truth. And the truth was, she barely even thought about it.

"I know I should probably be upset with her. For easily deciding to leave me by myself. As if I don't.. matter to her. But it's not her I'm upset with," he says, "She's still my sister."

I turn to face him.

"Nico, you do matter. Don't let anyone ever tell you or insinuate different," I urge, and for some reason I'm having difficulties even saying it, But then I easily growl out, "It's the Hunters that don't matter. They're the problem. If it wasn't for them, she would've never just left you. You're better than them."

Rather than say anything in response, surprising, Nico quickly wraps his arms around me in a hug. I just hold my arms out uncomfortably.

I still wasn't used to hugs.

Especially when I'm not the one to initiate them.

He then pulls away, looking at the ground, and mumbles, "Thank you, Y/N."

Nico stands and goes to stand with the others, looking about 60% less upset.

I stood just as the sky began to lighten.

Artemis muttered, "About time. He's sooo lazy during the winter."

"You're, um, waiting for sunrise?" Percy asked.

"For my brother. Yes." 

Apollo drove the sun chariot across the sky. Though the sun is also really just a star about a millions of miles away, the story of the sun chariot was true as well.

Before Apollo though, Helios used to drive the chariot.

There was a sudden burst of light on the horizon.