Something Bad Happens

____________________

Percy goes to Meriwether College Prep now.

You see, it's this 'progressive' school in downtown Manhattan, which means they sit on beanbag chairs instead of at desks, and don't get grades, and the teachers wear jeans and rock concert T-shirts to work.

Now that's amazing and all that for those with ADHD and Dyslexia, like half-bloods, or for mortals who actually need help with their education.

Problem is, teachers there always looked on the bright side of things, and the kids weren't always.. bright, to put it simply.

Charmspeak can go a long way into getting you into places. And due to Meriwether being so 'progressive' it was easier than normal to sneak in. 

No ones bats an eye at me considering I've never been here before.

Their first class today was English.

Apparently the kids had read 'Lord of the Flies.'

You know, where all those kids get marooned on an island and go psycho. Yeah that book. They had a bunch of middle schoolers read that.

Good idea right?

The teachers then though it a great idea to send everyone into the break yard to spend an hour with no adult supervision to see what would happen.

What happened was a massive wedgie contest between the seventh and eighth graders, two pebble fights, and a full-tackle basketball game.

..Full-tackle Basketball.

The one who led all those activities was a guy named Matt Sloan. 

The school bully, because every school has at least one.

Sloan was giving nearly everybody wedgies until he made the mistake of trying it on one particular kid..

No, not me. Though if he tried, it definitely would've been a mistake.

Percy gained a new friend at Meriwether.

His name was Tyson.

Tyson was the only homeless kid at Meriwether College Prep.

He was six-foot-three and built like the Abominable Snowman, but he cried a lot and was scared of just about everything, including his own reflection. His face was kind of misshapen and brutal-looking. He wore tattered jeans, grimy size-twenty sneakers, and a plaid flannel shirt with holes in it.

I'm not sure if I mentioned, but Tyson here is a Cyclops.

And as we all know, a good chunk of Cyclopes are from the same father.. I'm sure we all know exactly who that is.

That's right, Poseidon.

Which mean little Cyclops baby Tyson is Percy's brother.

Meriwether Prep had adopted him as a community service project so all the students could feel good about themselves. Unfortunately, most of them couldn't stand Tyson. Once they discovered he was a big softie, despite his massive strength and his scary looks, they made themselves feel good by picking on him.

Which obviously ended up with Percy becoming friends with him.

Funny part being that Percy is completely unaware of all of it.

Anyway, Matt Sloan snuck up behind him and tried to give him a wedgie, and Tyson panicked. He swatted Sloan away like a fucking ant.

Sloan flew fifteen feet and got tangled in the little kids' tire swing.