007. FAREWELL

CHAPTER SEVEN
farewell

Everyone knew that Winifred Demont and Dwayne Hoover relied on each other a lot more than someone should rely on a person ever in their life time

Everyone knew that Winifred Demont and Dwayne Hoover relied on each other a lot more than someone should rely on a person ever in their life time. They had to be the balance the other needed and without them they would tip and fall with nothing to catch them.

That was probably the worst part of their friendship, it could easily become toxic with one wrong scenario but hopefully it never did. Hopefully.

Anyway, everyone knew how much they needed each other, even for at least one second each day.

So, everyone knew that Winifred and Dwayne were probably going to have the worst few days of their lives. Or they're going to snap. . .it was inevitable.

Winnie was invited on the Hoover road trip to California to watch Olive compete in the Little Miss Sunshine beauty contest, of course she was. The family liked her around and Olive wanted her to go. And she desperately wanted to get out of New Mexico.

She wanted to leave and never come back.

And that's exactly why she couldn't go.

Her parents trusted the Hoovers, they gave their daughter the company they couldn't give. It was just that Winnie might run away again and never come back for good. And they couldn't take enough time off of work to go with.

It was some stupid excuse that her parents made up, she was sure of it. Because they sure as hell didn't even know she ran away until a week later when Grandpa Edwin tried to joke about it.

They weren't even mad or upset about it when they found out.

Oh how stupid it all was because now they decided to bring it up as if they were worried. News flash, they really weren't.

So she sat next to Dwayne on the lawn, up bright and early to watch them leave, as he laid his head on her shoulder. A yellow t-shirt rested on his lap that said 'Jesus was wrong' that Winnie had gifted him. He loved it very much.

Are you sure you can't just come with? I doubt they'd care.

She shrugged making his head rise and fall with her shoulders. His hair tickled her cheek and she scrunched her nose.

I could, but it won't end well afterwards I think.

How do you know?

Remember the time they told us not to drive the bus with Edwin and we ended up getting pulled over by the police.

Oh yeah they went bat shit crazy.

I just have to do what they say and if they don't mention it I'll be fine to do whatever.

Yet they'll leave their 15 year old all alone for a week.

Tell me about it.

"Dwayne? Are you ready we have to go!" Sheryl called out.

He rolled his eyes and stood up, holding a hand out for Winnie to take. He pulled her up to her feet and she immediately embraced him in a hug. It didn't last long before she pulled away and pressed a quick kiss to his cheek without even thinking.

He froze, eyes wide and mouth agape as she wrote frantically on the notepad that he was gonna spend most of the time reading through on the trip.

Don't forget to call me whenever you can.

He finally snapped out of his daze and read the page over and over to try and process the words. When he finally did, he nodded and gave her one last hug before going into the car. The family called out their farewells and she hopped Dwayne would show Olive her good luck message on one of the pages.

She watched as they drove away out of the neighborhood and made a left turn before going walking back to her house in desperate need of some sleep. She only lived a block away

()

Winnie had only gotten an hour of extra sleep before she began scribbling in her notebook like she did every other morning.

Im really tired, I need to sleep. Dwayne is gone.

She kept repeating her words, four maybe six times, as if it was going to be some sort of spell that was going to knock her out and into a peaceful slumber.

It was no use. She would not be getting anymore sleep that day, hopefully she could that night.

Oh she was so tired.

She moved off of hee chair and flopped onto the floor where she buried her face into the carpet and quietly sighed.

'What am I supposed to do with my free time?' she thought.

She was going to feel oh so lonely.

( note. )

short chapter but the next one is longer!