012. WAKE ME WHEN ITS OVER

CHAPTER TWELVE
wake me when it's over

CHAPTER TWELVEwake me when it's over

It happened again for two weeks.

With the same guy.

She felt disgusted every time.

After two weeks it turned into five and then seven and then soon half the school year was over.

Every time she punched him or kicked him in his privates it just made him do it more. Every fight with Dwayne ( there were a total of two and Dwayne ended up with a broken finger and the boy ended up with a broken nose ) and every call Sheryl made to the school and the parents of his and every yelling match her parents had with the school board and anyone they could. . .it never made him stop.

He was some gross pathetic guy that needed to be put in jail or something. At least that's what Dwayne said.

But there were no marks to prove what he was doing. Everyone who saw didnt think there was a problem with it so no one said anything because they didnt even know. It was all so unfair.

The Hoover's and the Demonts weren't supposed to know, Winnie thought she was being too overdramatic. But Dwayne told them, he didnt know what else to do. And they tried to help but it was no use.

She stayed home from school a lot and when she didnt Dwayne was constantly by her side. She thought it would be annoying but really it made her feel so much better.

Every time she was with him she felt so better she forgot what was even happening for 16 hours before it started again.

It was sickening but if she could just stay with Dwayne every second maybe things would be better. But surely that wasn't healthy?

It changed her thought process and her view on everything around her and she didnt like it at all.

She mostly didnt like who she saw in the mirror. She looked so sad. Everyone was so worried over a small little touch on her waist and it filled her up with nothing but overwhelming guilt. It was just a touch. And it changed so much of her and affected everyone around her. . .that was so sad.

She was clothed and it wasn't like he did more than touch her waist and thigh. She had no reason to feel like this. Right?

She couldn't even bring herself to write about her emotions. The only thing she wrote about these days was how much she loved her best friend and how he made her feel better. She wished she could do the same. Make him feel better.

"I'm going to take a bath," she told her frowning reflection in the mirror. "I'll feel better after a bath. That's what Frank said and if it worked for him it'll work for me."

It will all be over soon, she thought to herself.

At first she thought it was about the touching thing that ruined her so badly but for some reason the words felt like they were meant for something different.

How funny that she didnt even know what the words meant even though they came from her own mind.

She grabbed her towel and went to the bathroom, closing the door behind her and turning on the water. It was hot but not too hot to the point where it would burn her skin off. She watched as the tub filled up before beginning to slowly strip.

She avoided looking at herself in the mirror knowing how badly that was going to go if she did so. Mirrors were not her biggest fan. They were her arch nemesis if anything.

She turned off the water and out one foot in, she flinched at the warmth before putting her other one in. She lowered herself slowly, getting used to the feeling, and soon enough she was covered in water up to the base of her neck.

She already felt relaxed and calm. She took a deep breath and sighed as she closed her eyes and leaned her head back. She sat there for the longest time before her legs became weak and couldn't hold her up above the surface.

So she held her breath as she sunk beneath and the warm water engulfed her in a hug.

Im tired, she thought as the warm water kept her under as if it was trying to protect her. Like the blankets she hid under the day Dwayne came back. It felt nice but her lungs thought differently.

I need to get out, I can't breathe.

But she never did. She felt too tired to even move a finger. She wanted to get out, she really did, she needed to get out. She had dinner with Olive and movie night with Dwayne and her parents and. . .all of these things. But her body wouldn't move and her mind was falling asleep and her chest did nothing but panic and panic and panic, yelling at her to get out.

She should've just taken a warm shower.

( note. )

😰