010. OH YOUVE RUINED ME

CHAPTER TEN
oh you've ruined me

The first thing Dwayne asked her when they got into his room and shut the door was 'what is that on your arm?'

They had sat on the floor, leaning their backs on the side of his bed. They were side by side.

"Why did you start talking again?" she asked immediately after.

"Why did you start talking again?" he replied smugly.

She thought for a second laying her head back and staring at his ceiling.

"I laughed."

"You laughed?"

She nodded and turned to look at him but he was already looking at her.

"There was this guy, he kept trying to know my name and stuff. Anyway after I threw my slushy at him and ran away, I laughed and then I started screaming so loud I'm pretty sure I scared all the birds away," she explained.

"Did he do anything else?" Dwayne found himself whispering.

"Just touched my knee and grabbed my arm," she said showing him the mark.

"Im sorry Winnie," he mumbled, his mind off in some other place.

He hated this guy.

"Now it's your turn," she spoke, not wanting to talk about her experience anymore.

"Huh?"

"Why did you stop talking?"

"When Grandpa died-"

"Grandpa died!?" she exclaimed.

"Overdose," he explained.

"Oh man."

"Anyway, when we were at the hospital Olive grabbed these eye tests. We did a colorblind one and I couldn't see the letter in the circle so we found out I was colorblind. Uncle Frank told me that I can't fly jets if I'm colorblind."

"Oh Dwayne. . ."

His poor dreams were crushed.

"Im sorry Dwayne," she told him.

It was silent. A comfortable one really, they didnt have anything else to say to each other. So as a few minutes passed, Winnie felt the need to lighten the mood.

She stood up from her position on the floor and walked over to his record player, that Winnie forced him to keep in his room so they didn't have to keep moving it back and forth from downstairs.

She picked up a pink floyd album, the division bell, and placed it on before turning to Dwayne. It was her favorite album of all time.

She swayed her hips and moved her shoulders as Dwayne watched her amused. She closed her eyes, as the intro to 'Poles Apart' began playing.