Chapter 4

Chapter Four: Mint Green Chocolate

Hundreds of brightly colored lights danced in the heated darkness, varying in almost every shape, size and color. The humid air mingled with the soft enticing music that filled the vast clearing of the Zabini Estate; a masquerade ball, yet another excuse to justify a hefty crowd, expensive champagne and wine, ridiculously boisterous music and something more-- if you're lucky.

Tipping the elegant etched glass that nestled within his palm, Draco took a sip of the chilled wine which the host had presented him with. He allowed the luscious red liquid touch his heated lips, let is slide down and cool his dried throat. It was sweet, he noted as he poured more of the fine beverage to fill his system. It was also quite hot; the heat in the breeze, mixing with the chill rising from the ground beneath him and that hinted sweet taste which filled his mouth gave him a sense of peace and made him drift into his own personal land of contentment.

Packs of people around him, spun, twirled and merrily frolicked amongst each other. Multitudes of couples took advantage of the dark steamy atmosphere, coddling one another in am intimate embrace; while other singles grabbed the opportunity to converse with other singles, in hopes to create an electric connection.

"Would you like to dance?" a brunette behind an electric blue mask offered, attempting to bring the blonde to the clearing. He extended long tan fingers to the sitting prince in front of him.

Draco pondered on the thought for a bit before refusing. "No, thank you. I don't dance with strangers." He excused, trying decline with dignity. Sometime ago, he decided to be on his polite side tonight. He extended a long pale hand towards the kid your gentleman offering him to dance, with his light gray sleeve slightly fluttering with the cool breeze.

The guy's smile never feigned. "Well then..." he started, taking one of Draco hands into his own; the contrast in their skin tones was clearly visible. "My name's Jean Clear and I am pleased to have the pleasure of dancing with you Mr. . . . ?" He kissed politely placed a small kiss on Draco's hand after introducing himself.

"Malfoy, Draco Malfoy" Draco could only answer in embarrassment as the open display of formality normally associated with female hierarchy. His cheeks faintly tinted a blushing shade of pink as the heat flooded to his face. Normally, at an entire party he would play the role of observer and simply watched as the scene played before him, but tonight there was a tingle in his spine that he found quite amusing that he could not resist any invitations.

Jean once again smiled. "There; we aren't strangers anymore." He paused before continuing; "would you like a dance?" his smile never flattered, nor did that sparkle in his eye. His almost graceful movements made Draco unable to resist.

After renewing his offer, he once again placed a peck on those smooth pale hands. Draco could merely nod, as he was lead into the dance floor. He let the persistent brunette behind the blue mask show him the center of the dance floor.

Harry Potter.

While there were over a hundred guests frolicking within the vast Zabini estates, there was a particular group gathered inside one of the mansions private entertaining rooms. Lush chestnut drapery accented the tall French windows lining the wall of the room; in front of it five large couches were arranged surrounding a circular coffee table. Harry and his friends were all around the area; Ron, Hermione and Seamus were seated on separate couches while Harry took a seat under the French tapestries-- gazing onto the crowd below on garden. Tea and biscuits were served.

"This is great Blaise!" Seamus complimented as he moved over the center table, his soft light-brown colored hair falling on his face as he took a sugar-coated cookie from the basket. "These cookies are great! I wish Tessa could bake cookies like these at home. We must comment the Zabini's on their wonderful baker." He said happily as he ate the cookie in question and proceeded to take another.