Chapter 6

Chapter Six: Cinnamon Purple Gumdrops

This was great news! Brilliant news! Lucius thought as he held a cold glass of scotch in his hand, ruffling his normally waxed blonde hair and let it fall haplessly on his face. His normal steel straight posture was gone as he now slumped over bar in front of him, his strong frame half-laying on the wooden table. His gray eyes were now idly observing the water droplets condensing outside of his glass. He had not slept in two days since the doctor had informed him of his son's condition and now it was taking its toll on him, with his eyes steadily closing themselves as he was lulled into slumber.

"Lucius love" his wife soft voice called out to him from the hall way, as she strode into the Malfoy's large ballroom hall. It was the place where they frequently held gatherings such as parties, celebrations and dances all through out the year--all in the hopes for their only son to find a girl that would enchant him. But now it seems, all the expensive festivities were no longer needed. Narcissa placed her hand gingerly on her husband's masculine shoulder as she heard him give another sigh. "Lucius, my love" she tried again "pray tell what dark cloud looms over your shoulder?" her voice was coated with much adoration for this man in front of him, as she lovingly placed her head on his shoulder with her hands gently caressing his forearms.

"Are you disappointed about Draco?" he whispered, questioningly, after a long lapse of comfortable silence between them. Still he refused to turn his head and face her, effectively avoiding her concerned gaze by keeping his back towards her.

It was Narcissa's turn to sigh. "I admit" she mused out, still lovingly caressing his forearms. "I am very shocked to hear about his situation, my love" there was a short pause as she caught her breath, and it did not go without Lucius' notice "but I cannot be prouder that he his about to be a father in nine months. An heir! Born of his own womb. Wouldn't it bring pride to your Malfoy ancestors by hearing of such a rare child?" she said with a soft smile idly playing on her lips as she looked at her son's grand portrait on the hall.

His gaze moved from the glass of scotch in his hand to his wife beside him. There was a genuine smile on her lips and that loving look in her eyes. It was the same look her first fell in love with during their first meeting, he thought as he stopped her caressing touch by holding her hands. Instantly the movement made her look towards him--confused. At first he said no words and slowing nodded his head "Yes it will" he finally spoke up a few minutes later with his lips curving upward. "It will made them proud, a miracle!" he said to his wife with joy clearly evident in his voice, but soon the smile faded as he continued "But my love" he told her "our son is unmarried and I cannot allow our grandchild to be born in this world outside of a proper marriage" he feared the worst for his only child-- the shame and the ridicule he could receive by bearing a bastard child.

"It is intolerable!" he bellowed out, all the power and strength returning to his voice. He realized what he had to do. He will get Draco married before this child is born or it shall not be born at all, he decided bringing his fist roughly to the wooden table in front of him. His wife smiled sadly beside him.

"But will you accept it?" she asked him moment later. Her firey red eyes blazing in equal determination as she looked him in the eye--fire met steel. "Would you accept your son marrying a man? The father of his child?" she probed on "I, for one, will accept no less a bride or a husband for our son and the future mother or other father for our grandchild" she spoke out with much venom laced in her voice. She knew of Lucius ambitions which he pressed onto Draco; to marry a fine your noble woman and raise a powerful family--upholding the Malfoy name--and she also knew of Draco's heart, for she was a mother after all. She knew that Draco wanted to marry for love and not pride and more importantly she knew that her son's heart could not be won over my any female bride, but only be tamed by a husband.