Chapter 5 I See Fire

I sobbed for hours right where he had left me, right until dawn. When I managed to get my cries down to minor sniffling I took a deep breath and had calmed down enough to limp to the room as silently as I could to gather my things not looking at the boys in fear that I might break down again. I wrote them a note only saying, "I'm out of the hunting game, I love you both and call but don't come looking for me. -Mel" silently cursing my wavering hands as tears slid down my swollen cheeks.

As I exited the room Cas was standing outside looking at me with the same disgust in his eyes. My heart felt like shards of glass barely held together with duct tape. I kept my head down to avoid further eye contact but as I was about to walk off I remembered that I had nothing to be ashamed of, I didn't choose this life! I wasn't a murderer I just did what I had to to survive. In a moment of anger I turned right around with a shaking yet demanding voice.

"You know I trusted you. I gave 3 years of my life to those two men and I loved them like they were my family. If I hadn't hurt them then what makes you think I would now?" He averted his gaze though I could see the surprise in his eyes, I've never spoke to him like that. "That's what I thought....Make the markings that allows me to stay hidden from ALL angels" putting emphasis on all so he knew that once I was gone I was never coming back.

For a minute I swore he looked hurt but then went right along with doing it. It was painful but I barely flinched, I kept a hard glare on him. We said nothing else before I turned to run/limp far away from him, as fast as I could with my vamp. speed.

I stopped to lean against a tree, my exhaustion getting the best of me. Why hadn't my leg fully healed? It must have something to do with the vervain that's still in my system. I let out a breathy sigh and looked ahead to where I was going, 60 miles away to Mystic Falls.
✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨

I was about halfway there and decided to rest, I went to get a bit to drink when I caught my reflection in a small stream. I widen my eyes in shock because man was I a sight to see.

My long layered black hair that was in a perfect ponytail just yesterday morning was now splayed out all around my head almost in a halo with a few stray strands and feathers sticking out here and there, my face looked swollen and red like a tomato from my tears and I had smears of dirt on my cheeks, the small cuts healed by now. My green eyes looked twice their normal size and made me look like an innocent child.

My dress was awfully flared and sticks and dirt were wedged in between the several layers of fabric. I held up my wrist and huffed in annoyance at the noisy shackles that still burned slightly with the last traces of vervain, I pulled at them but it was no use they were stuck til I got something to pick the lock.

I looked at the tattoo on my bicep and flinched as it was still a little swollen. I reached behind me to touch the wings and noticed the slight warmth coming off of them. I sighed in defeat, I'm sure I looked like I went to a crazy costume/rave party.

Of course I lost my boots and only had a duffle bag of useless weaponry and cloths which I had decided to change into at the next town I hit. Who only packs one pair of shoes? All my other pairs were still at the bunker unfortunately.

As I came to a little gas station just 10 minutes from Mystic Falls I let out a small sigh. I opened the doors and a loud cow bell clanged against the door waking up the poor little guy sleeping behind the counter. I quickly gave him a small smile and a nod of hello then shuffled uncomfortably to the ladies room.

Lord he probably thinks I just snuck out of a one night stand. I striped out of the dress debating and then finally choosing to take it with me, perhaps I could fix it up and use it for one of the many events Mystic has. Tumbling further into my thoughts I wonder if anyone would actually want to see me, I didn't really leave things too well...

I caught another tear running down my cheek and I cursed myself for feeling so vulnerable. I then pulled on my pair of ripped blue jeans and another graphic T. With my hair up in a bun, mindful of the feathers. I counted six in my hair and tried countless times to arrange them but gave up and put it all in a black beanie with just my bangs sticking out.

I took out my make-up next and fixed up my face only adding a little mascara and eyeliner. Then still without any shoes slipped on my black hoodie and with another nod and an awkward smile I left. Next stop Mystic Falls.
💫💫💫💫💫💫💫

I breathed in the early morning air with an odd since of relief I had finally made it and was right outside the boarder. I was flooded with all the good memories I had here...and the bad ones, I was so nervous I could hear the two chain links still left on one shackle clinking vigorously as my hands shook. What if they all hated me? Or didn't want me back at all? I couldn't handle so much rejection from the people I love all in the span of 24 hours my heart would shatter... But I had to do this, I needed to.

I took a deep breath and just as I was about to step over the boarder someone swept me off my feet from behind causing me to screech involuntarily. I hated my weakness as I was pretty ticklish and jumpy at the moment, until my mouth was covered by a mans hand. I started thrashing uncontrollably, what if it was the old man coming to drag me back to his lab?  He's not this strong but he could always have goons working for him. What if I'm strapped to the table again?! My heart quickened and I shut my eyes tightly, screams muffled by a rough hand.

"Whoa whoa whoa, Wouldn't want to die on your first day back would you love?" Wait. I'd know that voice from anywhere. My eyes shot open as he removed his hand I spun and pulled him into a big hug mindful he might see my tears. At that moment I didn't care.

"If it isn't Mr. Lorenzo back from the dead." I said pulling away to look him in the eye once I gained my composure. My eyes scanned over his face making sure it was truly him. He chuckled, "well may I say you haven't aged a day Melicious." His rich accent coupled with a smirk could make any girl swoon in that moment except Im not just any girl and he was using his nick name for me he knew I hated.

"You aren't looking so bad yourself Enzy" I said giving him a playful shove until I processed what he had said, my smile dropped. "Wait, die my first day back? What are you talking about?"

"Well a rather lovely group of traveler cast a spell over the whole town a few weeks ago. Making it impossible for anything supernatural to walk into town without, well biting it." He grumbled making sure his sarcasm was emphasized greatly. Any other scenario and I would have laughed but with the day I've had I became more worried than I was to begin with.

Thoughts flooded my mind as he continued. I didn't get to hear what else he said as the realization hit me that I'll never be going back home. "Enzo please tell me everyone's ok." I said my voice shaking, I didn't need to shed anymore tears. He gave a weak smile, eyes full of sympathy as I knew something was wrong.

As if on cue, tears started to well up and he hugged me again tightly, rubbing my back as he told me as gently as he could that my brother, the person closes to me, who knew more about me than anyone I've ever loved, my best friend, Damon Salvatore was dead.