Chapter 23 Carry On My Wayward Son

Soon the news of sherif Forbes's passing spread and I was so swept up in it like everyone else that I hadn't realized Kai's absence until I was at the church with Elena and Caroline. I was admiring the flower arrangements set up for Mrs. Forbes's funeral when Caroline waved a hand in front of my face. "Oh, sorry." I said sheepishly. "We were asking you what you thought about your brothers feelings for Caroline." Elena said quietly. "Oh well I think it's great that one day we all might be related by marriage but I think Stefan wanted to give you your time to grieve before he said anything about it." They both looked down comprehensively before Caroline sighed. "Well whatever he feels I just wish he would have said it even if I'm grieving." And then she walked away.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The funeral was lovely and Caroline's song was beautiful but Damon's speech was what brought me to tears and I was a blubbery mess all the way to the house. "Forgot you were a hysterical pregnant lady now." Damon said from the drivers seat on the car ride home which made me laugh in the midst of my sniffling. When we got home I went to get a quick blood bag while Damon went into the kitchen to make some more pancakes. When I walked into the kitchen I stopped at the doorway when I saw Bonnie and Damon hugging. I screamed and ran to join their hug. "Oh my god Melody I thought you left?!" "Yeah I came back and was heartbroken at the thought of you and my brother over there for so long I hope he didn't drive you too crazy." I said still crying. "No I actually missed him when he left but why are you crying?" Then her face went blank as she grabbed my wrist probably seeing what's become of me. "Oh my god Melody." "What? What do you see?" My tears were coming much slower now. "A ball of fire, red and yellow but with a small blue flame inside." I swallowed hard. "Well we can talk about it after everyone else catches up with you." I said meekly. When I finished my pancakes and blood bag I wiped my tears and ran up stairs to start packing for my trip to Kansas while Bonnie and Damon sat in the living room, when Kai walked in. "Hey momma Phoenix." He said with a grin until it went a little slack as he noticed the suitcase on the bed. "Where you going?" "Kansas. Where have you been all day? I was scared to death!" He looked down now a bit angry but mostly shameful. We both kept something from each other, great way to start a relationship Mel. I mentally slapped myself. "I was with Joe. I was sick and I needed her magic." "How sick?" "Like a few coughs from dying." He said, his posture making him look like a puppy who knew he was getting scolded. "And why didn't you tell me sooner Kai!?" "Because I didn't want you getting all stressed out. Look I'm fine now and we need to get back to when you were gonna tell me about this trip?" "After I told you that Bonnie made it back." I paused letting him take that in. "Look I'm just going to go get information on this pregnancy cause it's really scaring me but I promise I'll be home in a few days." And with that I grabbed the bag and put it next to the door. "Ok but btw I love the dress." He said all seductively as he sauntered closer to me. A chill ran down my spine. I loved it too of course it was my go to little black dress with lace around the neck line and, since everyone knew about the tattoos now, I was ok with the back of the dress dropping down to the dimples on my back which were just above my butt and showed most of my black inked wings. Kai once again wrapped a muscly arm around me and splayed his fingers on my bare back as he dipped me down into a passionate kiss. When we both came back up for air he sighed and my heart skipped a beat, "Just be careful ok?" He said tucking a strand of my curled raven hair back behind my ear as I blushed at his sincerity in the whole matter. "You really wanna have this baby with me don't you?" I asked looking deep into his ocean blue eyes "My family was cruel and unforgiving for something I couldn't change. When I came here I thought everyone would treat me the same but you didn't. You forgave me when even I don't think I could have so thank you and yes I want this kid to come into the world being proud that it's unique unlike my family, we won't shun it whatever it is." I grinned up at him and took his face in my hands to give him another passionate kiss.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next day everything was really strange. Caroline had apparently flipped her humanity switch but I really couldn't blame her. We all had to experience the joy and grieve that comes along with it sometime or another but apparently Kai found out Joe was pregers so I rushed over there earlier to give them a congratulatory hug and their first gift, diapers, then Elena offered to take Bonnie to a rave to try and talk to Caroline while Kai asked Damon to help him get a chance to apologize to Bonnie for what he had done. I didn't press that matter as it was in the past and I swung my duffle over the back of my bike and headed out at about 9 a.m. Next stop sunny side Kansas.
~~~~~~~
Since I didn't really need sleep I decided to drive all night and got there around 10a.m. the next day. Kai had insisted on hourly calls which was cute since he was worried about me but painfully time consuming I mean I was hoping to get home within the weekend and it was already Friday. As I parked outside the garage, I swung a leg over and shakily grabbed my half empty suitcase. I walked down the steps to the bunker and knocked three times (in a way that told the boys it was me which we came up with a few years ago.) "Hey Sammy." I said as the giant moose of a man stood before me once again and my eyes filled with tears. Before I knew it I was pulled into a tight hug. I was so caught up in the hug that I almost didn't feel the sharp jab in my back. As everything suddenly went black I heard Sam whisper, "I'm sorry."