Chapter 28 Flickers

"Shit." I mumbled under my breath getting tooth paste on my gigantic t-shirt. I rinsed out my mouth and wiped at my shirt as I shuffled out of the bathroom and into my room. I stared at the walls around me and wondered if I wanted to add to my room seeing as I had only done it in a day. "Ah whatever." I said now exhausted from just walking as my baby was growing larger and larger each day. As I drifted off to sleep I couldn't deny the fear that clawed at the pit of my stomach as the reality of having twins was more and more possible and how awful it would be to see two pop on the monitor tomorrow.
Run. Ruuuun!!!!! The same horrible voice shrieked from somewhere close behind. Sweat trickled down my spine as I felt each twig, rock, and branch under my feet. I ran with all my soul to get away from what? Well, I had no idea but I ran anyway. As my breath came out rapid and labored in my own ears I began to feel dizzy and my legs began to ache but as I focused on the forest ahead of me I saw that I was inching closer and closer to a cliff and I knew I had to reach it. "Melody come back!"A harsh gravely voice echoed around me but I clenched my eyes shut and ducked my head running faster trying to block out the voice as it got fainter and fainter. Then I jumped, shooting my eyes open only to stare down at a canyon of water I felt my wings rip apart my skin bit by bit as each feather sparked to life in its own flame. Then a cold breeze as I climbed into the air gaining altitude and loosing warmth in the air around me as my powerful raven wings pulled me higher. I could feel each feather,each bone, each muscle. "Melody you can't hide from me forever."I gasped at his closeness suddenly forgetting to flap and dropping quickly. As I tried to right myself a jolting pain came from my shoulder blade. "I told you not to come back." A stray tear betrayed me and ran down my cheek as I continued to fall into the dark abyss and all I could think was... Why Castiel? Why?
I bolted upright in my bed gasping for air as a cold sweat now very present ran down my back, just like in my nightmare. "What the hell man?" I asked myself pushing my bangs and feathers out of my face and swinging my legs over the side of the bed. I quickly dialed the number praying they were still up. "Hello?" A very gravely voice grumbled through the phone. "Dean are you awake enough to talk?" I asked sheepishly at the lateness of it all hoping he was still up doing research rather than be in the middle of the very few hours he actually sleeps. "Yeah, sure what's wrong?" "Um, I had a nightmare with Cas in it and I was wondering if you've seen him around in a while?" "Not since you came over the other week but I wouldn't worry about it too much Mel just get some sleep and we'll ask him when he gets back from where ever, ok?" "Yeah, thanks Dean you get some sleep too." He chuckled humorously. "Yeah sure, see you around Melody." I hang up but still stare down intently at the picture of us together smiling and at the memory of him complaining about my petite size... I miss those days. As I finally look away I see no point in going back to my nightmares so I pick up a pencil and finish the final details of my picture from the day before, a fire bird with out stretched wings and bright green eyes outlined in reds and oranges with the faintest of blues at its core. I didn't understand it but I was certain the baby had a blue flame maybe the cause of magic and fire clashing inside it for dominance much like its parents. I smile as I set my sketchbook down on a nearby table and make my way to my closet in search of decent clothing. Once I pick out my outfit I fold them nicely in a stack and head for the shower.
~~~~~~
I was fiddling with my fingernails anxiously awaiting my appointment as I sat in the waiting room for Jo. My knee was already bouncing and I could feel a bead of sweat trickle down my forehead as she walked through the door. "Are you ready?""Yeah as I'll ever be." "Alrighty then right this way." As I go to stand a since of loneliness settled into my core I wish Kai were here but he didn't know I was here right now and I needed to make sure it wasn't twins and if it was... I would have a head start in thinking up a plan." She squirted the clear cool liquid on my abdomen and explained what she was doing though I was hardly paying attention as the sound of my frantic heartbeat was the only thing I could here. Several agonizingly slow minutes later and here tightly knitted eye brows relaxed and a smile crept up on her face. "No twins, just a healthy baby girl."