Chapter 8 Feeling the Burn

My mind processed the moment a microsecond longer before I came up with a reasonable response, "Oh shit." not said in surprise but more in embarrassment, how would you feel if you were caught drawing a stranger?

As I try and regain my composure after a second remembering he was still standing there quite shocked by my first response."Well hello to you too." He says with a smirk quickly recovering from his surprise. I scan over his features once more and the look in his eyes was near impossible to read.

His eyes were an almost midnight shade of blue but I'm sure they brightened in the sun. Once again I must have appeared brain dead as I zoned out yet again. The ever present smirk on his face showed he enjoyed it which meant nothing good for me, let's just hope he mistakes my over analysis as fear.

Then like a lightbulb went off in my head I quickly spun around and slammed my sketch book shut gaining a few curious glances and glares from my patrons at this oddly quiet bar. The purpose of shutting it was my lame attempt at trying to cover up something he clearly saw and to dismiss my further critique because clearly I didn't do him justice thankfully he doesn't need to know that.

"Anyways I was just wondering how did you know what I looked like and where did you learn to draw?" He asked snatching my sketchbook I was clenching loosely. This made me see red, for those of you who don't know I never show anyone my sketchbook and Kai was no exception to that rule.

Just as he was about to open the first page I quickly snatched it right back up as fast as he took it from me catching him by surprise and giving away the fact that I was a vampire with my strength and speed. Sadly I couldn't bother staying around to enjoy his surprise as I'm sure it doesn't happen often I just grabbed everything and ran out of there with my vampire speed.

When I finally stopped I was at my spot next to the Falls where Emily brought me, Damon, and Stefan after we were turned. That night use to haunt my dreams several nights a week, sometimes it's me all alone, sometimes I'm only with one brother and other times it's like I'm a ghost seeing them wake up and asking where I am.

Fortunately it was all three of us and after coming back some years ago to get closure has since made the nightmares cease. Now it just seemed calming to me like it did before my turn. I sighed as I sat down next to the water feeling the soft grass slip through my fingers as the last of the summer air slips through the breeze.

I pondered there for a while trying to figure out how I wanted to avoid Kai. He was new and didn't have a history with the town making him entirely unpredictable and dangerous. My biggest dilemma, unfortunately, was not his danger level. No it was simply the fact I couldn't stop thinking about his eyes. Gorgeous pools of blue swirling around, assessing, calculating. Of course there was chaos behind them but there was also a familiar feeling in them. One I knew all too well.
It was sadness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning I awoke feeling like the optimum amount of shit as I stretched lazily and drug myself to my bathroom after the sunlight seemed to burned my eyelids through the curtains I forgot to shut.

I turned on the water in the bathtub not bothering with the shower knowing I wasn't ready to stand long enough to clean myself. I sighed as the warm water wrapped around me with just enough bubbles to tickle my nose as I laid there.

As I was just getting relaxed the ever annoying Kai popped into my head yet again and I groaned inwardly in aggravation, what was with me? I had a vivid dream last night of his stupid eyes and his stupid hot face and now he's haunting my daydream! Like geez, why couldn't the newest psycho in Mystic Falls be ugly? Right because then it wouldn't be Mystic Falls. I thought in annoyance.

As I was questioning my sanity I didn't realize Damon had come in and I jumped when he spoke up. "So are you just gonna stay in your own little world all day or what?" He said sounding exhausted.

"What? No I was just planning out my day... Are you ok?" I asked sitting up a little straighter now thankful I wasn't left alone with my thoughts for once. "Yeah, just spent all night with Elena trying to jog her memories." He said. I felt bad for him he didn't sound very hopeful.

"Well Damon good things always take a little time, I'm sure it'll work out. Now get out so I can get dressed." I said causing him to smile then roll his eyes.

"Hold on the whole reason I came up here was to tell you that Kai's down stairs being a dick so stay clear of him I don't want him knowing I have a sister who just came back to town." He finished and left. I groaned and sank under the water hoping I would drown.

Damon would kill me if he knew I already exposed myself. One thing I've always know about my brother is that he loves an advantage, especially after all that Katherine put him through. Keeping my existence a secret would definitely give him an edge, who wouldn't want another decently old vampire on there side.

Unfortunately I can't be much help now if he already expects me to be on there side of course if Kai asked about a new vamp in town I was doomed, plus now I couldn't go see everyone like I wanted to without walking in on Kai and Damon's conversation. I was basically on house arrest!

I got out of the tub and wrapped a towel around my dripping form, cursing myself when I realized I must have left my cloths in my room while I was groggy from sleep. I stepped out of the bathroom and just as I threw my wet mangled hair over my shoulder I looked up and froze.

"Well hello again." Kai said setting down a picture of me and my brothers. Well this was going to be interesting. I took a short breath and composed myself.

"You know it's not polite to come in uninvited." I said walking around him while keeping an eye on him, just because he's clueless as to my history does not mean I want him to catch a glimpse of my tattoos. His eyes looked darker than yesterday as they raked me up and down.

I rolled my eyes at his predictable male behavior before I scanned the room and found my cloths sitting behind him on the bed. Deciding I needed a little fun I ran at vampire speed until I was just inches away from his face, a small smirk dancing on my lips. As he drew in a sharp breath my smirk grew a tiny bit wider, exactly like his had yesterday.

I silently grabbed my cloths then ran back into the bathroom locking the door. I laughed a little to myself but as I turned I gasped. He stood behind me with the same cocky look.

"Well that was interesting. Who are you?" He asked his face so close I shivered as his breath hit the skin on my collar and shoulder reminding me that they were still cold and bare. "Um, I wish I could answer but I really need to get dressed so if you don't mind..." He slammed his fist against the door beside my ear looking a bit angry, as if on a dime his mood had turned for the worst.

I hadn't realized he had backed me up against the wall. However flushed and vulnerable I felt I didn't give him the satisfaction of me wincing instead I got into character, sighed and grabbed him by the shirt. I flung him against the wall and laughed at the look on his face.

"You know this reminds me of how we met, except you were unconscious by now." I said as he tried to stand but I was already next to him. "So next time you try to threaten or try to intimidate me know that I am not afraid of you and can just as easily knock you back on your ass." I gave him one last hard look and helped him to his feet but stopped as a searing pain shot though my arm.

As I started screaming so did he and we both pulled away from each other, he slid back down to the floor and I backed up to the door once again. For a moment we stayed there just staring at each other in horror but he was the first to break the silence, "damn you just got a whole lot more interesting."