Chapter 24 Old flames

When I finally awoke I was tightly secured to a chair in the bunkers ancient library. Dean paced in front of me while Sam stared incredulously at me while Castiel lurked in the background. "Ugggggghhh." I groaned alerting Dean that I was awake. "So you're a vampire, huh?" Deans gruff voice boomed around me causing my head to throb in agony, I groaned again. "If you thought I wasn't I wouldn't be tied up with a serious headache but I'll have you know I'm actually a Phoenix-Vampire hybrid who is pregnant and very moody. In other words you wouldn't like me when I'm angry." All simultaneously their eyebrows shot up including Cas and I couldn't help but smirk. "Wait so that's what you wanted the books for?" Sam asked. "Of course it is. If it wasn't an emergency I would have never come back." I paused and turned to Cas, "After all that's what Cas asked." I said narrowing my eyes as the boys turned to him accusingly. "What the hell is she talking bout Cas?" Dean boomed stoically once more. "She's a vampire Dean not to mention a Phoenix now, you didn't even know they existed until today, she's too dangerous." Sam looked back at me and studied my features for a long time before speaking up. "When did you turn into a hybrid Melody?" He asked softly which helped soothe my painful state. "The night Cas asked me to leave when we were up in Virginia." Sam turned back to Cas. "So you're saying that Melody was a vampire the whole time she knew us but the day she escapes and turns, also probably scared to death you kick her to the curb without even telling us!!!" Sam raised his voice the longer he talked causing me to flinch. "Sammy she's a vampire!" "I said the same thing about Benny and he turned out to be a good guy! Come on she lived here for 3 years, she's practically went through hell with us, and if she wanted to hurt us she would have." Dean seemed to process this for a moment then looked at me then at Cas. "He's got a point man. I think you should untie her and apologize." Cas stared at Dean in as much of shock as Cas could muster then like a kitten with its ears down and tail tucked he walked over, untied me and muttered an apology without looking me in the eye.
~~~~~~~
A little while later I had gotten all the books they had on my situation and now was currently in my room stuffing what I could in my bag while they asked how I'd been. I had told them my tale and that I would take the stuff I really wanted and the rest they could sell. Unless of course it was a lot then they'd just have to mail the rest. "So Melody whose the lucky guy to get you knocked up?" Dean said sipping a beer on the edge of the bed with Sam while Cas stood awkwardly in the doorway. "His name is Kai and he's real dreamy and he's taking me to prom!" I said in a really girly voice making them both laugh. "Kai huh? Is he treating you right or do we need to kick a little vampire ass up in Mystic Falls." I had told them about where I lived and how I was born there and how it was mostly all vampires which were a different species than those they normally hunted since we're the only species that can mostly control the thirst and have more humanity. "He's actually a powerful warlock, and the leader of his coven." I said all proud and smug but it reminded me that I needed to shoot a quick text to him.
Hey everything ok up there?

Yeah never better except your friend Caroline seemed to turn off her humanity come home soon.

I swallowed hard. Ok be careful I love you.

You too and I love you more. ;)
"Is that Mr. Warlock?" Sam said from behind, scaring the crap out of me. "And who's Caroline and how did she turn off her humanity?" I took a deep breath wanting to snap at him for scaring me. "Caroline is a vampire who recently lost her human mother to cancer and since my breed of vampire is so special we come with our own little humanity switch we can flip on and off when we don't want to deal with our heightened emotions." "That sounds dangerous." "Yeah which is why I need to head back and deal with it." I said stuffing the last of my many hunters stuff and travel trinkets. I turned and saw that Sam and Dean were standing behind me each staring at me with faint sad expressions. "You can't stay one night?" Sam asked, oh god and he had the puppy face on. I glanced at Dean. "Come on Mel it wouldn't kill yah and I'm sure they got it covered up there." I nervously glanced at Cas then. "And what do you think?" I said surprised at how strong my voice came out as I was far from strong around Cas. "It would be nice to have you back." He says genuinely smiling. My heart skipped a beat and suddenly I felt sick to my stomach. "Excuse me." I said running to the bathroom to once again puke my guts out. The boys ran up and flanked me both of them putting a hand on my back and rubbing it soothingly. "Sorry, morning sickness is a bitch." I said once I had finished. Cas handed me a warm wet hand towel and I carefully put it on the back of my neck. As I looked up at him he gave me a small smile and I found myself smiling back but not in the way I use to so lovingly, not the way I smile when I see Kai now and it made me happy. Completely and genuinely happy as I got my final text message of the night.

Goodnight my angel. I love you.