Chapter 6 Blood in the water

When Damon went away to war the first time I cried like a baby. He laughed a bit before bending down to gather me in his arms and he told me, "Tears are for those who didn't get to know how much we loved them." I sniffled and hiccuped in total confusion over what he meant, but I think I understand now. He knew how much I loved him so he would only want me to pick myself up and carry on living, no matter how painful it will be without him.

The last time I was in Mystic Falls everything seemed to be falling apart at the seams so, not having a particularly major role in the drama that ensued, I took the cowards approach and bailed. Now I realized I left just as crap was hitting the fan. I remember clearly the last time I was in town we had just had the decade dance, things were getting weird between Elena and both my brothers, and klaus was wrecking the place.

Now I hear that my best friend Elena is now a vampire, I completely missed Stefan's graduation, the cure for vampirism and, the absolute icing on this messed up cake, Katherine's death. I might actually miss her now that I think about it.

But, as for me since I can't go home I am currently staying at Whitmore campus trying to play catch up after my night crying all over Enzo. When Caroline opened up her dorm door to see me we had an absolute freakout over seeing each other again and I immediately jumped into apologizing profusely for missing out on so many important parts of all their lives.

Being the sweet Caroline she was she instantly forgave me though I told her I didn't deserve it. Now we were currently discussing everything over a cup of coffee. Things didn't go as smoothly though with Elena seeing as when I approached her I almost slapped her silly because she started bad mouthing Damon while I was freshly trying to mourn. Caroline explained the memory sweep and it broke my heart but I brushed it off and quickly changed topics.

"So wait you and Tyler are off and you and Klaus are on." I said waggling my eyebrows at her . "Oh god I should never have told you." She said half laughing as she put her head in her hands. "No,no,no this is perfect now Matt owes me twenty bucks cause all my ships were right." I said grabbing her hands. "What do you mean?"

"Well. When we heard all the drama going on we placed bets on you, Elena and Bonnie..." I said dropping my voice at her name. This time she grabbed my hands giving them a small squeeze, she gave me a look of sympathy and urged me to continue.

"Anyways he said you and Tyler would find a way to make it, Elena would stay with Stefan and Bon Bon would get a guy in college away from this stuff. And I said that's bs, people change their minds especially vampires." I sipped my coffee enjoying the memories of everyone that drifted through my mind.

We talked like this for hours, she told me about all the deaths, the sadness, the revivals, the relationships and even how Bonnie and Damon died saving everyone else. I smiled at that, proud that even when he tried to keep his bad guy persona it eventually slipped. I finished my coffee and headed back to the room. As I walked in I saw someone standing at our door with his back turned to me.

Between the thick black hair and signature lingering smell of bourbon I knew who it was instantly.

"D-Damon?" I chocked out almost in a whisper, tears welling up in my eyes. I knew he heard me when he spun around with wide eyes and a surprised look on his face. I ran to him tears already running down my face, I hadn't even seen Stefan yet considering he bailed after Damon's death. I couldn't blame him though he held out longer that I had.

At that moment though I didn't care, the thought of Damon dead was tragic no matter how long it had been since I'd seen either of them. To know you could never see someone you love again...I buried my face further into his shoulder as I cried.

Then, speak of the devil, Stefan came bounding around the corner causing me to look up and see that it was him through misty eyes. I gasped and was put back down, only then realizing Damon had picked me up I ran to Stefan, hugging him just like Damon, lord help me and my short self. I stood almost half a foot shorter than both of them at 5ft.4.

By now Elena had heard the commotion in the hallway and though she was surprised to see him standing there she only said hello to me and Stefan, ignoring Damon. I glared at her retreating figure as I saw Damon standing there heart broken, this bothered me even more. I knew she couldn't help it now but still, I had never seen them as a couple but no one could deny that they had chemistry even now, when she didn't remember all the time they loved each other.

~~~~~~~~~~~
A few days past and Damon filled us all in on his miss adventures in the spirit world explaining how Bonnie found peace and something about a phsycho path? I had to admit it was awful hearing that there was no way to get Bonnie back but I couldn't help feeling happier that Damon was back and that Stefan came home from God knows where.

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨
A few weeks past again with only minor life threatening situations and boring school work until mid-terms came and it was crunch time to re-learn the material. Funny I was alway the same major every time I went to college, art.

The only reason for this being that I loved all of the arts like my mother, which I guess was why my name was Melody. Sadly most of my art supplies and works were at the bunker and the boarding house.

I pondered my lost treasures before shaking my head and trying to refocus. It was late and I was sitting at the bar of the Scull trying to memorize a chapter over the renaissance when someone sat beside me, I payed them no mind of course and they were currently talking to Liv who was washing the counter around me.

When she asked to see his ID I heard her gasp and quickly looked up. She was looking at him with absolute horror and it took no time for me to want to protect her, she looked unable to move and barely breathe. So I did what anyone would do, well anyone with super vampire strength would do I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and threw him against the wall before he could even turn to look at me knocking him out on contact.

I turned back once I was sure he was unconscious and saw that she was still shaking.
"You ok?" I asked quietly. Before she could answer, a familiar face walked through the door next to the bar. "Tyler, it's so nice of you to drop by." I said almost sing-songy, almost.

"Mel? what the hell is going on?" He said noting the wreckage of the wall and the slouched figure.
"Well let's just say they had bad blood." I motioned between unconscious guy and Liv who seemed to be in shock.

"Who is this guy anyway?" I wondered aloud, not bothering to see if Tyler would answer as I walked over to him. Now kneeling next to the guy I ran my hand on the back of his head to check for blood. I flinched, boy is that gonna hurt in the morning, I thought as I felt a particularly large bump forming on the back of his head. "He-He's my brother K-Kai, the psychopath that murdered my family." Liv mumbled now standing with Tyler as he tried to soothe her.

"Well you guys head home and I'll deal with him, I guess." I said but they were already making their way to the door.

"You don't look that scary unconscious." I said when I lifted his head, looking at his soft features they were drastically different from my own sharp ones. I shook my head and went to go grab my things.

I shoved my textbook into my book bag and swung it over my shoulder. I heard a faint buzz and realized it was his phone. I snorted upon reading his user name and slipped it into my pocket.
I turned to him and huffed a little, he'd be a pain to carry. Not because he was heavy, he seemed pretty light just the awkwardness of carrying a body on my shoulders is something I hate doing.

I eventually sucked it up and gently as I could, swung Kai over onto the opposite shoulder. I didn't really want to take him back to my place so I fished a wallet out of his back pocket and luckily found a local motel key buried in it. Not bothering to do anything else but lay him on the bed when I got there I put his wallet on the nightstand and left.