Chapter 25 A mockingbirds song

Saying my last goodbyes to the boys was difficult but I promised a possible middle name if the baby was a boy and that I would visit when I could and headed back for Mystic Falls and all the drama that lies ahead. I had sent a text to Damon, and Kai telling them both I was on my way and would be home soon.
As I walked up the front steps with my duffle in hand I saw the door swing open and I grinned as Kai propped against my doorway. "Hey stranger." I said dropping my duffle at my feet. "I tried apologizing to Bonnie, she didn't take it well." He said sadly and I wrapped him in a comforting hug. "Well she's gonna have to get over it if I have this baby cause I don't want either of you killing each other when it comes around." I said only half joking, he let out a humorless chuckle. "Oh and there's one more thing."
~~~~~~~~
"What the actual hell Caroline?!" I shrieked busting through the front doors of the scull as I saw Care up on stage singing to a frightened Matt and Tyler but a clearly amused Stefan. "Oh Mel I guess you heard about me switching your brothers emotions off." She chirped. "Care to do a little karaoke I hear you're really good." I could feel my eyes turn a deep shade of red and my cat like pupils narrow into slits in frustration but she didn't even bat an eyelash. I huffed glancing at Tyler and Matt behind her. "Only if you promise to stop torturing the boys." I said gesturing to the two of them sitting slightly terrified but mostly annoyed in a booth next to Stefan. She quickly frowned. "Melody do you know how incredibly annoying it is knowing you up and left everyone with no explanation three years ago,then show up now like some high and mighty bitch trying to coast around not caring about anyone but yourself?" She was circling me now,"then you go and fuck the guy who's literally tried to kill your brother!" She sighed then added. "And as if that's not enough you don't even come visit my mother in the hospital." "Careful now sweet Caroline you're letting your humanity show." I said only slightly annoyed by her accusations. For her information I left because this place was going to shit and came back because my other life started to go to shit and I did visit her mom when I was hiding from Kai that one week and she was very sweet and seemed to need Care a hell of a lot more then Bonnie's bear. But I couldn't tell her that, no matter how much she insulted me I knew I couldn't give in like she wanted me to. "Oh I don't care about that now I'm just super pissed you interrupted my singing with your annoying sense of authority." She smiled an eerie almost robotic smile. "That sense of authority comes from having one and a half century on you. Now give me the damn mike." I said knowing if you can't beat them join them and then show them up at they're own game. At least long enough for Matt and Tyler to think of a plan.
"This one is an old favorite of mine." And seems accurate for my life right now. I wanted to add but they don't care so what would be the point
...(you found me-the fray)
I found God on the corner of  First and Amistad
Where the west was all but won
All alone smoking his last cigarette
I said "where you been?"
He said "ask anything."
Where were you?
When everything was falling apart
All my days spent by a telephone
That never rang
And all I needed was a call
That never came
From the corner of First and Amistad
Lost and insecure
You found me, you found me
Lying on the floor
Surrounded, surrounded
Why'd you have to wait?
Where were you? Where were you?
Just a lil' late
You found me, you found me...
I didn't know why but singing always comforted me even in the worst situations. Maybe that's why I got my name.Caroline was fanning herself with her hand pretending to cry while Stefan clapped his hands looking more bored than anything. "Come on Caroline lets just let her have them and let's go find someone to snack on." "Stefan please this isn't you." I said grabbing his arm desperately. "Damon was always your favorite anyways so don't pretend you worry about me." He snapped and as my eyes began to fill with tears I clenches my fists and spun to yell one last thing as he began walking away. "I won't give up on you that easy and don't ever expect me to! Got that brother!" "Sure ever annoying, knocked up sister of mine." He said then the door shut and I turned to Matt and Tyler with tears in my eyes. "I hate them like this." I huffed wiping aggressively at my eyes. "I think everyone does." Tyler agreed. "And congrats on the pregnancy." Matt said with a small awkward smile, "And thanks for saving our asses back there." Tyler added. "You're very welcome and thank you Matt but right now you two need to steer clear of those two and stay out of trouble." I said grinning and giving them both a hug before running out again.
~~~~~~
When I got back to the house Damon was in the living room pacing in front of the fire place a bit anxious. "Hey what's wrong?" I asked plopping on the couch. "I have something that could help someone but potentially ruin my life." He said still pacing. "How helpful we talking?" "Like it could give them the life they've always wanted help." He sat next to me and rested his head on my shoulder. "That's pretty big. But if it's not going to kill you it would be very big of you to do something like that for someone and I'm sure they would always be grateful to you for it." "Also don't know if you know but Joe and Alaric are getting married soon and we're all invited and informed to have on our best." He said causing my shoulder to hum in the wake of his voice. "And are you happy that your wing mans getting hitched again?" He sat quiet for a moment before answering. "Yeah I think I am. He deserves to be happy and have little vampire slaying, witchy, mini warriors running around." Then he looked down and rubbed a hand over my stomach. "And you deserve little kick ass vampire, birdy children who hopefully don't turn out like daddy." I giggled and playfully punched him. "What's that suppose to mean?" "Come on Mel you fell for a sociopath!" I glared at him. "I've already had to put up with this shit from Stefan and I don't need it from you too. He isn't a sociopath he just needed to be shown how to love." I said my hormones cooling down as I finished and he put his hands up in surrender . "Ok well I congratulate you on taming the monster just make sure to keep him in line ok? Now, help me find a way to flip they're switches."
When I got back to my room I sent a quick text to Kai and in no time at all he was propped up on the bed giving me a major heart attack. "Jesus Kai at least pop up at a door or something not three feet away?!" "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." He said chuckling and making his way over to kiss the top of my head. "So what's in the bag?" "Books on our potential hybrid child." I threw him a book. "So get to reading."
He laughed but opened the book obediently as I opened my own. I read and read for what felt like hours and found that yes the baby would be fine if I died and was reborn during the pregnancy, the Phoenix gene is very strong in each generation but usually only one child gets to pass it on, and pheonix children usually feel more connected to their father than mother since the original Phoenixes were almost always male. Kai had found the last one and I thought it was absolutely adorable yet sad the kid might love him more than they love me but he reassured me it wouldn't be that way. Other than that it was mostly the same as every other site I had seen so we just went to bed and hoped it would be as simple as the books had said.