Contrite Part II

Contrite Part II

*This chapter made me itchy, beware.*

"An Apple sound appealing to your appetite?" Anthony said, drawing an apple from behind his back as he ate his own. Ester smiled and took the Granny Smith from his hands and nibbled on it.

"Where did you find it?" Anthony laughed and pointed out their window where Ester saw a buzzing town.

"Apparently this town isn't as terrible in the morning as the nightlife portrayed it as. I even ran into Jorma. Turns out he is in room 103. Saw him on my way out. Once you, my dear, are ready we will head to the Constable's office."

Ester nodded and finished tying her corset in record fashion, as she was used to it. They weren't as tight as they were before her children's birth but she was getting there.

"I'll be down in a moment." Anthony nodded, placing her apple on the newly cleaned table and walked downstairs. True to his wife's words she made it downstairs faster than Daphne or his mother ever could.

Wrapping their arms together they headed towards what Ester only assumed with Viscount Jorma. He wasn't what she was expecting but she could see his looks matching his name.

He had beautiful olive colored skin, with big beautiful brown eyes. His hair was a curly mess on top of his head and his height was smaller compared to most men but he looked very kind.

"Jorma! How have you been?" Anthony said, giving him the usual 'manly handshakes' men seemed to provide one another upon greeting.

"I've never been better. Happy to escape the clutches of children. They get louder and more needy every time I come home--oh..didn't see you there ma'am." Ester gave a soft smile and reached her gloved hand out towards him.

"Viscount Jorma I'd like for you to meet my beautifully compelling wife, Viscountess Ester Bridgerton." Viscount Jorma gave her hand a soft kiss and smiled a charming smile. Ester returned one.

"Pleased to meet you." He said to her, Ester speaking to him as well.

"Pleased to meet the man I have to owe my utmost thanks and respect." The Viscount just shook his head and laughed.

"Don't thank me dear, it's about time this city saw some conviction for it's crimes. I'd say you are eager to go to visit the Constable?" Ester nodded and Viscount Jorma led her and Anthony towards the offices.

The walk itself wasn't very long, nor terribly treacherous through the mud and grime that often surrounded areas of towns and cities such as Yorkshire. There were a few children running around happily that had Ester's mind somewhat distracted from the true reason of their visit here.

The Constables offices and jail cells were small, dingy and held a few prisoners in the main room. A dark, damp stairwell leading to the basement however had a fowl smell and a horrid cry of people longing to escape the prison cells they were kept in provided it's usual depressing aura.

"This is Constable Grush whom I completed all correspondence with. Constable Grush this is Viscount and Viscountess Anthony Bridgerton. Relatives to Lord and Lady Billingsly." The Constable was just who Ester believed him to be.

A man so large he barely could leave his seat to greet them, with a beard so long it almost touched his heart. Food, alcohol and oil covered his face, hands and hair. His "uniform" was hardly decent. It made Ester want to cry, honestly.

"I am here to see my sister and collect what is owed to me." Ester said calmly, rudely refusing to accept his outstretched hand. She tried not to be rude but she wasn't in the mood to play the Lady today. She was a grieving family member now.