Contrite Part III

*Oh yea*

Contrite Part III

Anthony didn't do much on the rest of their trip other than file paperwork--proper paperwork. Transfer notes and bank statements, papers and deeds. It turns out after Mariana's confession there was more work for him than he imagined there would be.

Which in a way was a hidden blessing in disguise as Ester needed some time to grieve the now understanding loss of her parents, and the new loss of her only relatives left. Her sister and her brother in law.

It turns out in the real written Will of Lord and Lady Jacob and Juliana Sloehigh all their assets belonged to Anthony and Ester. The money had mostly been spent, which Anthony wasn't totally upset about. Whatever was left he would spend on Ester for little or big things she wanted. He'd give it to her to spend as part of the dowry she never got.

The Primogeniture Law however provided Anthony (due to his marriage to Ester) all the assets and properties Jacob Sloehigh owned. Since Ester was his truly first born daughter. Which was legitimized by the Deed of Settlement he signed when he asked for Ester's hand in marriage:

"I am thankful for this opportunity, sir. I personally feel however as Lord Billingsly has been married to your eldest daughter--it should be him to sign this document." Jacob sat in his study, brooding over the large press printed document in front of both him, Anthony Bridgerton and Charles Billingsly.

"For reasons of my own, no matter Charles's beliefs I am requesting that you, young Viscount sign this document should you wish to marry my Ester." Anthony looked to Charles who was rather upset and back to Jacob who was surprisingly calm.

"Should anything happen to you--I pray it does not--I will do my utmost best to care for your assets, property and daughter." Lord Sloehigh just scooted forward and once Anthony's signature left the page, signed it himself and sealed it with his wax seal and family crest.

"For that very reason is why your marriage to my youngest daughter brings me great joy and comfort. Welcome to the family Viscount Bridgerton, I know your father would have been proud of the man you have become today."

So legally it had always been Anthony's and Ester's. However due to the fraudulent accounts and records of Lord and Lady Billingsly their hearing was short and their punishment just as swift. Leaving today as the last day for Anthony to wrap up what was left of his business (and Ester's) in Yorkshire.

He had passed the same store nearly a dozen times and each time he stopped to admire the same object in the window. A beautiful portrait frame with golden edges. It appeared to be smaller in size, connected and could fold open and closed to protect the paintings. Before he could stop himself he walked into the store with all intents and purposes to purchase the frame.

*********

She was trying not to wallow. She really was. This wouldn't be good for her children if she came home miserable and upset. It wouldn't be good for Eloise who was dependent on Ester telling her that she could do this.

It wasn't good for herself.

Everything was going well for her. Her relationship was mended, a new warm debutante season was approaching to keep her mind off things. She had two beautiful children that needed her, that were here guiding light in all her storms.

What Ester was really struggling with was how...unfazed..she was at the death of her sister. Don't jump to conclusions, Ester was dreadfully sad at the entire thing, her sister murdering her parents, her brother in law selling his only child and heir to an orphanage with a name not her own....