Chapter 9

Rose was sat at the desk of her new workplace at Torchwood Three. After the Doctor had left, she decided to stay and do what she was good at. Maybe she was not the best, but she knew a thing or two about aliens.

She would try to forget the Doctor by focusing on work, endless nights just swimming through documents that needed to be done, or hunting down Weevils that would slip through the Rift in Cardiff. She would manage to rent a small studio on Salisbury Road and travel by bus every day. It wasn't as amazing as the TARDIS, but it would do.

Rose typed away on her computer, resisting the urge to stand up and brew another cup of coffee when Jack entered. She didn't look away from the screen.

„You're still here." Jack commented, at which Rose would only hum in response. „Go home. It's late. I'll drive you."

„I just gotta finish this up real quick." she managed to mutter through her yawn.

„That file you're working on? It's still gonna be here tomorrow. You have to sleep."

Rose didn't reply. She simply ignored his presence over her shoulder. Jack would then lean in and blow air against her neck to get a reaction. Rose was unphased.

„Right, that's it." Jack turned her around, grabbing her by the waist and throwing her over his shoulder. „Let's go."

„What? Jack, stop. This isn't funny!"

„No, it isn't. So stop acting like a child."

Rose seemed annoyed as they drove over the empty streets of Cardiff, but her interest would then peak at the sight of a pub in the corner of her eye. She had a lopsided smile on her face when they pulled the car into the parking lot.

She rushed out of the vehicle and took a big breath, smelling the freshness in the air.

„Got the money?" Jack asked.

„Got the wee-" she stopped. She bit her lip in irritation, then smiled. „Nevermind."

„What's wrong?"

„Nothing. I'm fine. Let's go then, we ain't got the whole night."

Once inside, they sat at the bar and ordered two drinks. Rose took in the scenery. For some reason, she had missed this. The domestic of it all; the disgusting smell of sweat and alcohol, the screaming at the match, the dudes fighting over whatever reason, and the cheeky bartender that would sometimes wink at her. Felt like home, in some weird and unapologetic way.

„You're working too much." was the first thing that Jack said to her.

Rose scoffed. „Right. Says the man that doesn't leave the Hub."

„Someone has to keep an eye on it." he laughed. „But I'm serious, Rose. When's the last time you had an actual night's sleep?"

„Don't need it. Cause otherwise..." she looked down at her fingers and picked at the cuticles. „Nevermind."

„Cause otherwise you'll think of him." he finished her sentence. „You never really talk about him."

„What's there to talk about? He left. Even after my confession. Maybe that's the reason he ran away. End of story."

„And yet you dream of him at night." his voice was low, but to her, those words were screaming, seeping into her mind.

„He made his choice, Jack. That's why I'm gonna move on. Or at least try to. Because thinking about it hurts." she rested her chin in her palm and locked eyes with the match.

Jack took a sip of his drink and sighed. „You're free tomorrow. Anything planned?"

„I dunno." she didn't look away. „I'll probably-"