Chapter 14

She closed the door to her bedroom inside the TARDIS, then leaned against it, the back of her head hitting the wood surface just slightly. And then she closed her eyes, taking in a big breath. It didn't take long for a knock to be heard.

„Rose?" Jack called from the other side. He took a pause then continued. „Do you want to talk about it?"

„What is there to talk about? The...thing was right. He would never lo-... You know what, never mind. I'll just pack my things."

„So you're just gonna leave him?"

„That's what he wants, Jack. I can't...I won't deal with this anymore."

„Rose, open the door." he sighed.

„And you know what's even worse? I was willing to- I was. I-" she slid her hands into her pockets before stepping away from the door and towards her drawer. „Fuck this."

„You're not thinking rationally and you know it." Jack opened the door slowly. He saw Rose rummaging through her clothes, picking and throwing and stuffing into a bag.

„Yeah, well I didn't ask for this!" she yelled as she turned to face him. „I didn't ask to love him! I thought he and I were...well. Apparently not. I'm just a pit stop, is what I am. And now he is safe, he is healthy. He is himself. If I leave, at least I know I saved him one last time. And now there's a fucking black hole in reality and I just," she kicked the bag across the room, then sat on the bed. „I can't leave, can I? We can't let him deal with that on his own. Fuck." she rested her head in her hands.

Jack took a step forward, placing a hand over her shoulder. „Easy there, soldier. Listen, do you want me to go kick his ass? Cause I can go kick his ass."

Rose chuckled. „That won't be necessary." she looked up at him. „I'll do it myself."

Jack laughed. „There you go. Now let's get out there and save the world, ey?"

-

The Doctor paced around the hallways, with the TARDIS in his mind giving him lectures. He tried shutting her out, but the more he did so, the more she possessed his mind. He walked around the corner when he heard Rose's voice echo.

What is there to talk about? The...thing was right. He would never lo-... You know what, never mind. I'll just pack my things."

So you're just gonna leave him?"

That's what he wants, Jack. I can't...I won't deal with this anymore."

Ah. Yes. Of course, she would.

He turned on his heel and into the other direction, resisting the urge to invade the privacy and listen in.

Of course, she would. He had done so many bad things to her, no wonder she'd leave. And maybe that was for the best, for Rose to have a normal life, get a boyfriend, get married. It's what he'd wished for her.

Yes, he had to accept it. He had to come to terms with it. She was human, fragile: she would wither and die, and he was not. He would live on to see her go, and the Doctor was unsure if he would be able to do so. She would have a very unhappy life by his old self side. There was no point in trying to stop her.

The TARDIS sent him an aggressive wave before starting to argue once more.

„You know what?" the Doctor looked at the ceiling. „One day. One day I'll..." he pointed with his finger.

„One day you'll what?" Jack abruptly stopped in his steps. He looked at the ceiling, furrowing his brows. „Who are you...talking to? Never mind, I don't wanna know. So."