Chapter 23

"Cale, there you are. Take a seat."

"Now that were all complete. Bring in the dishes."

***

"2 plates of Confit de canard, 2 bowls of Pasta alla Norma, a bowl of Caprese Salad, a platter of Bistecca alla Fiorentina and 4 saucers of Cassata. Please ring the bell if you need anything. I hope you all enjoy your dinner."

Confit de canard. The meat is soft and easy to separate. It's pretty rich ....... savory too. This taste must be duck meat.

The bowl is half of the plate that holds the fried duck. Sauce is very flavorful despite the little amount with the pasta. The cheese compliments the sauce, must be a specific kind since I don't recognize the flavor. The eggplant slices are the contradiction here I see. So, this is Pasta alla Norma.

Now the dessert, Cassata. It's a miniature size, quite good since I've already eaten a lot. Toppings are fruit candies? The texture is very good-

"Cale!"

"Mnp! What is it father?"

"I've been calling you since a while ago, is something the matter?"

"Oh no, I'm just enjoying the food that's all."

"I'm glad that it's up to your tastes. Now, let me introduce you to the succeeding countess of Henituse, Violan and your brother Basen."

"Nice to meet you, I am Cale Henituse."

"I've heard great things about you Cale. I am Violan, I hope we all get along well in the future."

"I'm Basen, I hope we get along."

"The feeling is mutual."

***

"It has already gotten late father; I must head back."

"I'll walk you to the carriage, please excuse me for a moment."

"No worries, dear."

"Cale."

"Yes, father."

"Do you not like talking with Violan and Basen."

"Father, I just haven't talked to anyone in a while which led to the awkward atmosphere. Please forgive me."

"Oh, don't be, it's not your fault. With the way you were ignoring how I called at first and how you only kept nodding when Violan talked to you got me thinking you wanted to avoid talking to them. HAHAHA!"

What a coincidence. I was also doing food reviews in my head to avoid talking to them.

"I'm already here father."

"Ah yes.

Cale."

"Yes father?"

"Please don't get angry with Basen and Violan. Basen doesn't have a father figure and Violan was alone in raising him. Staying by their side is the least I could do."

"I understand father. Please be careful on your way home."

"Haha, shouldn't I be saying that? Good night, Cale."

Basen doesn't have a father figure he says. Staying with them is the least he can do he says. I just lost mom.......

and I'm going to lose you too.

***

"Ron."

"Yes, young master."

"Wake me up when father comes home. I have something to ask him."

"Young master, is it that urgent that you can't wait till morning?"

"Yes, and father will probably be by Basen's side by the time I wake up like every morning."

".... I understand young master, I shall alert you when the count has arrived."

As expected, I can't eat with them.

I don't want to get used do this.

I don't want to accept them.

I don't want to forget mom.

I don't want to replace mom.

***

"Ron has father arrived yet?"

"Not yet, young master."

"I see."

"Young master, I believe the count might arrive later, early morning. Maybe sleeping is a good option."

"Mnnn."

"Do you not trust this old man to wake you up?"

"Never mind."

That old man is still as annoying as ever. Better keep the door closed.

I need to ask him.

I'm not sure. No. I'm sure of it. Father said-

***

End of Chapter 23

Food credits

www.tasteatlas.com/confit-de-canard

www.tasteatlas.com/cassata

www.tasteatlas.com/pasta-alla-norma

www.tasteatlas.com/caprese-salad

www.tasteatlas.com/fiorentina