♡ 1

CHAPTER 1

~Jungkook's POV~

"Do not under any circumstances refer to her as CEO or Ma'am- she hates it. Miss Park or just Miss is fine," the man explained. Min Yoongi. He was one hell of an intimidating man, but he was my only lifeline right now.

"Yes, sir," I responded, following him as he moved quickly through the office sifting through various stacks of papers.

"Good manners," Yoongi nodded in approval, turning to look at me. "Honestly, it's difficult to train you on all of your duties ahead of time, so you're just going to experience them yourself."

Perhaps noticing my terrified expression, Yoongi spoke up again. "Don't worry, you will have me here with you for the next week...but after that, you're on your own."

"Yes, sir."

This was the opportunity of a lifetime for me. Getting into a company as big as Park Group was next to impossible. Endless extensive rounds of interviews. Even your references needed references. And somehow, I had managed it. Sure, I was only an executive secretary, but this was just a steppingstone to bigger things...

Park Group owned an enormous number of fashion brands and companies. If you wanted to make a name for yourself in the industry- you worked with Park Group. That was the dream. Manage my own brand. But first, I had to prove myself a capable secretary to the CEO- Park Y/N.

Was I setting myself up for failure? Maybe. Miss Park had a reputation for being absolutely ruthless. Insatiable. She had a zero tolerance for incompetency and failure. But that's fine, right? She's the CEO so she should behave that way, right? I had to hope, for my own sake, that the rumors were exaggerated.

One fact was certain- Miss Park had been looking for a replacement for her current secretary, Min Yoongi, for several months now. He had been her secretary for the past four years. Since the beginning of her time as CEO. But he was going after a different career path, and the process of finding a new secretary had taken so long that I was now stuck with only one week of training. I had heard whispers that Miss Park had rejected a total of twelve candidates before me. Perhaps a blessing in disguise, she didn't really have the option of sending me away. There was no time left to start over.

"Are you ready to meet the boss?" Yoongi questioned, pulling me from the racing thoughts taking over my mind.

"Yes, sir, of course," I tried to sound confident, but I probably wasn't fooling him.

After a painfully long and silent elevator ride to the top floor of the building, we arrived in front of her door. Yoongi gave a brief knock before opening the door and holding out a hand, encouraging me to walk in ahead of him. I couldn't stop my hands from shaking, heart pounding viciously in my chest, as I stepped into the room. I hadn't felt nerves like this in a long time...

"Miss Park, please allow me introduce Jeon Jungkook- your new secretary," Yoongi gave a bow.

I followed suit and bowed before introducing myself. "It is a pleasure to have the opportunity to work with you, Miss Park."

Raising my head, I took a moment to look her over. She didn't look like a scary demon, just a normal woman. A normal woman responsible for one of the biggest companies in the country and a massive amount of wealth, but a normal woman, nonetheless. I don't know what I was expecting. Horns or something.

"What is this?" she scoffed. "I thought you vetted the candidates, Secretary Min, so what is this?"

Yoongi's eyes fluttered as he took a moment to think of his next words. "What do you mean, Miss?"

Park Y/N began to walk towards me slowly, heels clicking against the cold, marble floors. Uncomfortably close, she took the lapel of my suit in her hands and ran her fingers across the material. Her face was difficult to read, but she definitely wasn't pleased. And I couldn't breathe.

"His suit isn't properly pressed, and the material is cheap," she tilted her head, never once looking up at me, only the fabric. "I can't have my image tarnished by mediocracy."

"Seriously, Y/N?" Yoongi whined; annoyance laced in his words. Holy shit, can he talk to her like that?

She burst into a fit of sarcastic laughter. "Wow, you couldn't keep up your professional persona in front of the newbie for even a minute, could you?"

"You're being ridiculous, who cares what his suit looks like?" Yoongi rolled his eyes. "He is qualified- and look, he's not running away at the sight of this exchange."

I mustered up an awkward smile.

"His glasses look stupid, his hair isn't neat," Miss Park continued rambling off anything she could find wrong with me. I held my hands in front of me, wishing the moment would end. I guess she was a demon, after all.

Yoongi rubbed his forehead, growing even more frustrated. "Look, he's your last option."

She pouted. "Just stay."

"Nope," Yoongi smacked his lips, and turned to face me. "Don't mind her, she's just a brat who has been spoiled for far too long. I promised her two years of service with the company, yet she ensnared me for four and it's still not enough for her."

My eyes widened; I didn't dare to respond.

"I'm sorry you had to witness such a display of nonsense," Yoongi gave a half smile. "She's not as bad a everyone says, truly."

I wasn't sure if I believed him after the argument that I had just been privy to, but I nodded anyway. "Of course." Regardless of how many red flags were waving in front of my face, running for the hills was not an option. Even if Miss Park turned out be an insufferable boss, I had no choice but to work for her. She was a means to an end.

"Wow, Yoongi," Miss Park shook her head in disbelief. "You found one crazy enough to stay."

Crazy? I guess that was the only explanation for why I wasn't turning away from her, taking off down the elevator, out of the front doors, and never looking back. But I knew deep down that there was more to it than simply being crazy. I wasn't crazy, she had just lit a fire within me. My own personal goals aside, I wanted to prove her wrong. I was going to be the best damn secretary in the country. I was going to make her eat her words. Prepare yourself, Park Y/N.