♡ 27

CHAPTER 27

"Do I need to meet with him personally?" I mumbled. "Why can't one of the directors handle this task?"

"Miss, I thought you liked to have direct involvement with these sorts of major projects?" Hoseok questioned, clearly confused.

"That's correct, but not with him."

Hoseok raised an eyebrow. "Did you have a bad experience or something with Jeon Jungkook?"

"That's putting it lightly," I let out a breathy laugh. "But fine, let's just get this over with."

I'd saved the meeting with Jungkook for last, hoping that I'd gain confidence by the time it was his turn. Frankly, I'd rather die than be forced to sit down and chat with him, but I knew that it was my professional duty. The individual designer meetings were only lasting fifteen to thirty minutes on average. I could survive that long in a room with Jungkook. Right?

The door swung open, and the man I was waiting for sauntered inside, holding a leather portfolio. Dressed in an all-black suit, he looked divine. Like the old days... His face held no particular emotion. If he was even slightly bothered or unsettled by my presence, he wasn't making it obvious. He just silently took a seat across from me and opened his work case, pulling out various papers.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Hoseok rose from his seat gave a slight bow. I remained tight lipped and sat comfortably.

"The pleasure is all mine," Jungkook replied, shaking Hoseok's extended hand. "Shall we get started?"

Hoseok looked to me, as if wondering if I'd like him to lead the meeting instead. I shook my head in response. I didn't intend to look weak. "For the showcase we are looking for each designer to prepare a minimum of five designs, but no more than eight," I explained.

"Easy enough." Cocky.

"There is no specific theme that you need to adhere to, but we'd like to see the Japanese influence in your presentation."

"Okay." Asshole.

"We have a six-month deadline to meet. If you choose to work from the main branch in Korea, we will provide you with accommodations as far as living arrangements and a workshop," I continued. I quickly added, "You are more than welcome to work from your home branch instead." The last thing I needed was six months of seeing Jungkook's face at every corner.

"I'll be staying in Korea," he spoke as he took notes.

"That's really not necessary," I mumbled through gritted teeth.

He raised an eyebrow at me in amusement. "Try to be professional, Y/N."

This absolute ass. I am going to kill him. Anger was writhing in my veins, and I clamped my jaw tight to hold back the words I truly wanted to say. "Professional?" I scoffed.

Hoseok chuckled nervously and spoke up. "Maybe I should excuse myself?"

"No!" Jungkook and I chimed in unison.

I shot Jungkook a glare and clicked my tongue. "That won't be necessary, Secretary Jung."

"Uh- I think I need to use the restroom, sorry," Hoseok stuttered, and rose from his seat. He nearly tripped on the chair leg with how hurriedly he was attempting to leave the room.

As the door closed, I turned my attention back to Jungkook and let out a deep sigh. "Thanks for that."

"I didn't do anything, Y/N," he said, narrowing his eyes at me. "You've been making faces at me from the moment I walked in the room. You could at least pretend like I'm a normal business associate and act cordially towards me."

"I'm not as good at acting as you are, Jungkook."

For a brief moment, a strange look appeared on his face. Regret? Sadness? No, that couldn't be possible. He'd left me. He'd betrayed me. Not the other way around. Almost as soon as it had appeared, the look went away again, and his expression returned to that of annoyance.

"Look," he huffed. "We have to spend the next six months in close quarters, so there's no point torturing each other. I've moved on and I'm sure you have as well."

Sure. I'd moved on. If moving on meant spending every waking minute wondering where things went wrong. Wondering how the magic I felt every time our lips made contact could possibly be fake. Wondering how the adoration I saw in your eyes every time you looked at me could possibly be fake. Wondering how it was possible that even now, after everything, that I still wanted to run and jump in your arms. God, I was pathetic.

"Yes, I've moved on." I cupped my face with my hands and tried to refocus myself.

Jungkook's eyes lingered too long on my fingers. "You didn't get married?"

"What the hell does that matter?" I groaned.

"Just answer the question."

"No," I shook my head, irritated by his attitude. "My father got sick last year and wanted to make peace with his children, or himself- I don't know. His way of doing that was granting me my freedom. He's just a grouchy old man now, but he doesn't interfere with my life anymore."

Jungkook nodded his head slowly and his lips turned upward. "I'm happy for you."

I was taken aback by his response. The reaction seemed genuine, but I had thought the same thing about words he had used with me before. As much as I wanted to believe in his intentions, it was impossible to trust him. "Thanks," I mouthed.

"Well, I'm going to leave you with some of my rough draft concept sketches," Jungkook changed the subject, handing me his papers. "If you have any major critiques, please contact me. I'll partner with your secretary for next steps."

I gripped the papers and gave them a cursory glance. "Sure."

Hoseok stepped back into the room right on time, as if he had been waiting patiently at the door for Jungkook and I to finish our conversation. "Jungkook, if you'd like to follow me, I will show you the space we have available for you to use as your workshop. I've already secured an apartment for you to stay at, as well."

The two men went off on their way and I was left alone with my thoughts. I was now especially glad that I'd saved the meeting with Jungkook for last, as my brain felt like utter mush. There was no way I was going to get any productive work done. I just wanted to go home and burrow under the covers of my bed, forgetting the day's events. Though I knew that wouldn't be happening. I'd find myself fixating on every little facial expression, every inflection of his voice.