♡ 11

CHAPTER 11

Unable to calm my mind and collect my thoughts, I decided to meet with Jimin in private to talk through what had happened with Jungkook on the date last night. I'd been sitting in the same chair in my apartment with a full glass of orange juice and an untouched plate of eggs and toast for the past hour. I was still stuck in my trance when I heard the code being typed into my keypad, and the door swung open.

"I called you three times, Y/N!" Jimin shouted, throwing his hands in the air as he entered the room where I sat still. "Why are you not answering the phone? What's the point of even having one?" The annoyance fell from his face when he noticed the state that I was in. "What's wrong?" he questioned in a much softer tone.

"I think I'm falling for my secretary," I mumbled, not moving my eyes to meet his.

"U-uh okay, not what I was expecting...let's come back to that one," he stuttered, taking my hand, and dragging me over to the couch.

I sank into the cushions and leaned my head back, pouting my lips. "I'm serious."

"What was his name? Jungkook? That one?" Jimin sighed, rubbing his forehead.

I nodded my head slowly. "We went on a date, it was supposed to be a joke, but..."

"But you caught feelings?" Jimin questioned, finishing my words as they trailed off. He brought a finger to his bottom lip, tracing across the skin. "Do you know where his head is at?"

I let out a chaotic laugh, the first bit of emotion I'd expressed. "Yeah, right. I have no idea if he was just playing around of if he actually felt something too."

"So that's problem number one, problem number two..."

"Father."

"Yeah..." Jimin sighed deeply. "You're all but engaged to the next available up and coming, millionaire businessman that he deems fit. I have a sneaking suspicion that he wouldn't exactly approve of a love affair with your employee."

"I didn't expect that something like this would happen," I groaned. "I was going to marry one of father's candidates without complaint and move on with my life. I had already accepted that a life without love was in the cards for me."

"That's really sad, Y/N," Jimin scrunched his brows together. "You're not just a pawn in his game...you can't live like that."

"I don't want to lose everything I have, Jimin." I leaned my head against his shoulder and averted my eyes to the ceiling. "Despite being thrown into my position, I've worked extremely hard to make things better, and I don't want it all to be for nothing. I feel like I have no choice but to follow father's demands."

"So, you're saying running away like I did isn't an option?" Jimin chuckled bitterly, though clearly the feeling was more directed towards himself. "Still, I won't let you be miserable. Let's find another way around this."

"I have one month to select my husband from the candidates that I've been presented," I explained. "If I don't, I get stuck with whoever father chooses."

Jimin sat up and placed his hand on my shoulders, forcing me to look at him. "We can do one month," he nodded, exuding confidence for my sake. "You'll need to deal with problem number one on your own first, while I think about a solution to the other one."

"Right," I sucked my teeth. "Does Jungkook even like me the way I like him?"

That was the ultimate question. None of the rest mattered if Jungkook didn't feel the same way that I was starting to feel. If he rejected me, maybe things would be easier. I could continue moving forward with the pre-laid path that I was expected to follow. But if he didn't reject me... Could I really just marry a stranger always wondering about the 'what if'?

The conflicting emotions in my mind, my heart, were terrifying. I was about to risk it all, and for what? Love? Not even. The potential of love? I wasn't even sure what it was I was feeling for Jungkook, I just knew that I wanted him by my side. Needed him. The idea of being without him was so painful it caused a tightness in my chest unlike anything I'd ever felt before. It was suffocating.

Jungkook's words were like precious melodies, lulling me into an overwhelming sense of comfort with his every breath. His actions made my heart skip, and my words jumble up in my throat. Everything about him was just so...captivating. I wasn't even sure when I'd noticed the change. When he became so much more to me than my secretary.

My phone started to vibrate against the glass table in front of Jimin and I- the name 'Jungkook' appearing on the screen. "You should get that," Jimin raised his brows playfully and stood from the couch to leave. "I'll start figuring things out, I promise. See you soon."

I took my phone in my hands, waiting for the door to close behind Jimin before answering the call. "Hey, w-what's up J-Jungkook?" I answered more awkwardly than I intended. I groaned silently and slapped my hand to my forehead. So discreet.

"You sound funny, are you sick?" Jungkook questioned, worry in his voice.

"Yeah, that's all," I decided to lie. Better than explaining the real reason for fumbling my words. This was not the time and place for that.

"Okay, hang tight," he answered quickly. "I'll be right over with some food and medicine. You can't come into the office if you're not feeling well."

Shit. What did I just get myself into? "Oh, that won't be necessary I think I am well enough to work...just a minor cold."

"Don't be ridiculous, Y/N," Jungkook retorted. Clearly, he wasn't going to take no for an answer. "If you insist on working, I will bring over your laptop and notes, but please, allow me to help you at least."

"Whatever, fine," I gave in, seeing no other escape from the hole I'd just dug myself. As we hung up the phone, I looked down at myself pitifully, fully dressed in my work attire and looking no worse for wear. Guess I'll change clothes to make this believable.