♡ 20

CHAPTER 20

Jungkook's design was even more amazing than I could have gauged from the sneak peek I'd stolen at his apartment. At the presentation to the rest of the directors, I scanned the room for reactions, and saw many lips turned up in satisfaction. He'd created a brilliant menswear ensemble that was unlike anything I'd ever laid my eyes upon. His creative mind was incomparable, and it was nearly impossible to hold back the emotions of pride and happiness that were desperately trying to make their way to my face.

Back in the privacy of my own office, was a different story. With no inhibitions, I nearly tackled him, jumping into his arms. "Did you see them! They loved it."

He caught me and steadied my balance, putting me back down on my own two feet, but keeping his arms wrapped around me. "Oh, I don't know," he responded shyly, turning his head.

"Needless to say, you won't be cut from the show," I beamed. "We have another busy week of prep ahead of us, but it will all be worth it in the end."

"I'm happy to see you smile," he commented out of the blue, turning his gaze to me.

My eyes widened, taken aback by his words. "What do you mean?"

"When I first met you, it was so rare to see you express yourself. I'm glad that I can see that more often, now."

"Oh- um." I wasn't sure how to respond to his statement. I hadn't noticed much of a change within myself, but maybe he was right. It took a lot for me to show something other than indifference- especially excitement and joy. That was why many of the staff regarded me as cold and ruthless. Around Jungkook, I felt that I could show my true face. I trusted him.

"Don't feel pressured by my words," he spoke up in my silence. "I just wanted you to know that I think we are both making accomplishments...and I'm happy that it is at each other's side."

In lieu of an answer to his statement, I coiled my arms around his neck and placed a gentle kiss on his lips. Tightening his grip on me, he responded by deepening the kiss. I ran my fingers through his hair at the base of his neck, feeling shivers run down my spine. His touch always left me in chills, hungry for more. Just one was never enough to satiate me.

As if sensing the dangerously increasing desire between us, Jungkook pulled away, leaving me a breathy mess. "Miss Park, how could you?" he gasped dramatically, parting his lips, and shaking his head at me. "At the workplace!"

I raised an eyebrow at him, "I do believe you reciprocated."

"It was a moment of weakness."

It was risky of us to indulge in one another at the office, seeing as my door was never locked, so any unsuspecting staff member could walk right in. But that only served to make it more thrilling. The adrenaline was practically screaming in my veins. Call me a sinner, but wrong tasted so very right.

"I quite enjoyed your moment of weakness," I smirked, running my fingers along the lapel of his suit jacket.

He ran his tongue across the top of his teeth, narrowing his eyes at me, now dark. Opening and closing his mouth, he considered his words carefully. "I have to go deliver a very important document to a very important manager." And just like that, he loosened his hold on me and rushed past me to the exit.

My cell phone began to ring the moment I watched my office doors close. Kim Taehyung. I grimaced at the sight of his name, still spiteful about the way he abandoned me at our 'engagement party'. "Hello," I answered callously.

"Ouch, my love, how can you answer my call in such a tone?" Taehyung whined in a pouty voice. "I've missed you dearly and just wanted to hear your voice."

"In that case, I'll be hanging up now."

"Wait!" He quickly shouted. "I called to warn you- your father expects me to attend your showcase this weekend."

My mouth twisted further into discontent. "Of course, he does."

"My family will be there as well, so we are really going to need to lay into the PDA this time," he added. "Start practicing, Y/N, I can't carry the weight of this couple's acting on my shoulders alone this time."

"Fine," I sighed out and hung up the line. His remark was fair. He'd done the brunt of the work at the party, making the effort to treat me with the care and consideration that you'd treat a girlfriend or wife. I'd gone along with his initiative, but I hadn't taken any of my own. That wouldn't be enough to fool our families. They would expect more out of a supposed young couple helplessly in love.

Having to play the role of Taehyung's lover more actively wasn't even the worst part of all this, it was the fact that I'd be having to do so at the showcase. In front of Jungkook. Not exactly how I'd expected to celebrate his first publicly shown design- on the arm of another man. I just wanted to be with Jungkook. But this was the only way I could be. The tug of war between doing what I desired and doing what had to be done was tearing me to shreds. I felt like a fool, playing at an unwinnable game.

Perhaps it would be best if I let Jungkook know in advance that I wouldn't be able to attend with him. Maybe he could spend the night socializing with the other designers who had submitted work for the showcase, and he would barely notice my presence. If Taehyung and I could make quick work of providing an impressive showing of our love, maybe I could feign a sickness and call it an early night. Anything to get out of there. As much as I wanted to experience the showcase of Jungkook's design, more than that, I didn't want to ruin his night.

I closed my eyes and sank into my seat as a tightness rose in my throat. Nausea was setting in from the stress, and my stomach churned. I don't know how long I can keep doing this...