♡ 37

CHAPTER 37

"Are you sure this is a good idea, Y/N?" Jungkook whispered in my ear as we walked towards one of the tables near the edge of the rooftop, where Hoseok and Taehyung had already taken their seats. "Taehyung can be very persistent in his questioning."

This late at night, there weren't many other people present, just a few couples and businessmen grabbing drinks. It was peaceful, and dark, save for the shining lights of the city below us. Loud music played from a speaker at the bar, offering the privacy we were looking for. It was beautiful and freeing. It felt like its own little world, an escape from reality.

I leaned in close to Jungkook. "I'm sure."

"You're playing a dangerous game." He licked his lips and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "I don't think you want to reveal your cards just yet."

"You think I'm scared?" A dangerous smile played at my lips. A challenge.

"I think you are," he spoke confidently.

"Let's see." I walked off to join Hoseok and Taehyung, heels clicking against the cobblestone floors.

"Nice of you to join us," Taehyung grinned. "Shall we?" He raised his glass, drinks already ordered and on the table in front of us. I knew very well that he was aiming for me to throw my inhibitions out the window, but I still couldn't resist the provocation.

"We shall," I winked, clinking my glass with his.

"I hope you won't find an excuse to hold your tongue this time," he started. "What exactly happened with the two of you after Jimin and I left?"

"You're awfully curious," I answered coyly. "We talked over things and that's that."

"That's that?" he scoffed. His gaze turned to Jungkook who remained silent. "Is that, really that?" A huge teethy grin appeared on his face.

"That's that," Jungkook repeated with no emotion.

"So, you have no feelings for Y/N?" Taehyung questioned. "Is that what you're telling me? You're telling me I'm just imagining things?"

I looked over to Jungkook, hoping to catch him off guard, but his expression was as blank as ever. He was holding his feelings close to his chest. "I feel...something."

"You're so irritating," Taehyung sighed, shaking his head. "It seems like I'm chasing a lost cause, Hoseok." He turned to the man and rested his head on his shoulder. "Should we go? I push and push and they don't budge."

"I think that's a good idea," Hoseok nodded, turning his attention to me. "I'll take Taehyung back to his room. If you need anything, please let me know."

"Thank you," I mouthed.

The two men took their leave, and Jungkook and I were left alone as a result. If I weren't completely numb from all the drinks from the evening, I'm sure my heart would be in a panic, but I was oddly calm. It felt right, being next to Jungkook in this moment. The tension between us was a comfortable tension- the right kind.

"You drive me insane," Jungkook mumbled under his breath, almost incomprehensible. His hand traveled up to my cheek, gently caressing my skin as he stared into my eyes.

"What do you mean?" I met his gaze.

"Do you want me to show you?" His voice was low and dark, pulling me in.

"Show me."

"That's a bad idea."

"Show me," I repeated without hesitation.

His lips crashed against mine, sweet with wine, intoxicating. This feeling was one I hadn't experienced in so long it was like I was starving for it. I leaned into the kiss immediately, tugging at his bottom lip with my teeth, hungry for more. He allowed me entrance and our tongues danced with one another, captivated. His kiss was sweeter and more addicting than any wine could be. I didn't care about the consequences. I was completely swept up in desire.

I pulled away, only to ground myself to reality and ensure that this wasn't a dream. When I opened my eyes, he was still there in front of me, proof that I was conscious. That brief moment apart was enough for me to know that I couldn't bear to be, and once again our lips met. My hand traveled up the side of his chest, pulling him closer. The rest of the world melted away- in this moment we were alone.

One hand gripping my waist and the other coiled through my hair, he took in a deep breath, tickling my lips. "That's what I meant."

I opened my eyes, just inches away from him. "I think I understand, now."

"I could explain it better," he whispered, eyes fixated on my lips as his thumb traced across them.

"Please," I leaned into him.

Our lips collided once more, this time with more force. We were awful at words- but this, this we could do. This was all I needed to know his feelings. It felt just like the first time, but more eager. He tasted the same. That hadn't changed. So much had. But this- this one thing remained the same. Love? I don't know. All I knew was I wanted him so bad it hurt.

He leaned back, parting our lips. "We should probably talk about things when you're in your right mind."

"I don't want to."

"I know, but it's important," he chuckled, his eyes still locked on my lips. "I promise you; it's taking every ounce of willpower I have to tear myself away from you."

"What if I say something I don't mean?" I bit my lip. "When I'm in my right mind, as you say."

"I can bear with it," he said, resting his forehead against mine.

"I don't want you to bear with it," I shook my head, meeting his eyes. "I want you to know how I feel even when I'm too much of a coward to say it out loud."

"I know how you feel, Y/N."

"You promise?"

"I promise."

He placed a kiss on my forehead and looked at me with a sadness, as if he were saying goodbye. "I hope you remember this time," he mumbled. "I hope you remember how much I love you."

"I love you, Jungkook," I responded, bringing my hand to his cheek. "I love you so much it kills me."