♡ 17

CHAPTER 17

Once the night's events were finally wrapped up and the last few guests began to trickle out of the estate, my father approached the table where the three of us were seated. "It is late, so please, stay the night at our home," he spoke, resting a hand on Taehyung's shoulder.

"Thank you for the offer, sir," Taehyung nodded. "But I must decline as I have business to attend to first thing in the morning." Thank God, he was quick to come up with an excuse.

"I insist," my father replied, his tone polite but demanding. "I am leaving now for a flight so you don't need to worry, you will have your privacy."

"If you insist, then, I would be happy to stay with my love at her childhood home," Taehyung offered a kind smile through gritted teeth, reluctantly accepting his defeat.

"Wonderful, you can both stay in Y/N's old room," my father added. "I assume sharing a room won't be a problem at this point in your relationship?" It seemed he still had his suspicions about the two of us. No doubt the staff would report back to him if they noticed anything out of the ordinary.

"That's perfectly fine," I answered for the both of us, though I honestly wasn't comfortable with the thought. As much as I trusted my brother and his judgement of character, I had only just met Taehyung, so I wasn't exactly keen on spending the night with him.

"Great." My father turned on his heel, satisfied, and headed out of the room without so much as a goodbye.

With my father now out of earshot, Taehyung turned to me to speak. "So...I actually have a prior engagement set up for tonight, so the whole sleepover thing isn't going to work."

I shot him an obvious glare. "Are you joking? This isn't negotiable- he will have people watching us."

"It's fine," he waved off my concerns. "I already have a plan for that!"

"What?" I spat out, ready to strangle him.

"He's just my height, about my same stature, and could certainly pass for me if we are just a little careful," he beamed, turning his head to Jungkook.

Jungkook stared at him with his mouth agape. "Uh- what?"

"Are you insane?" I raised my voice. "You look nothing alike!"

"Don't be so pessimistic, Y/N," Taehyung chuckled, somehow humored by our predicament, while I, on the other hand, was terrified. "We will go in the bathroom and swap clothes, and then after that, you two will be in the bedroom so nobody will see you, anyways."

I hadn't even considered...that part. Jungkook and I had shared a hotel room before, but that was perfectly innocent- we hadn't yet developed feelings for one another. Sharing a bed was completely different. I wasn't sure my heart could handle such a thing. Heat was rising to my cheeks just thinking about it and I instinctively avoided eye contact with Jungkook.

"Aw, are you getting all shy, Y/N?" Taehyung giggled noticing my red face, worsening the condition of my embarrassment. "You entered into a fake engagement with a damn near stranger for this man, certainly you can share the night together."

"It's fine, Y/N," Jungkook spoke up. "If you're okay with it, let me help you. I don't see Taehyung as the type to back down."

He was right about that much. Once Taehyung was set on a goal there was no changing his mind. He'd be leaving with or without my approval, so my best bet to not get caught and ruin everything was to stick with his plan. "Okay, just go do it."

When the men reappeared, they had switched suits and accessories, and restyled their hair to help with the illusion. Both were keeping their faces to towards the ground for good measure. I wasted no time taking Jungkook's hand in mine and dragging him up the stairs towards my room, while Taehyung hurried out of the front door. Jungkook and I passed a few staff members in the hallway, but most seem uninterested. It didn't appear that anyone had noticed a difference.

"I am so sorry," I hung my head in shame as the door to my bedroom closed and Jungkook and I found ourselves safely inside. Surely this was all becoming too much for him.

"It's okay, Y/N," he crossed his arms in front of himself and let out a breathy laugh. "I only have one regret tonight, and that's not getting to dance with you."

I looked over at him, puzzled by his relaxed demeanor. Was I the only one getting flustered by our situation? "I don't even know what to say."

"You could say you'll dance with me," he smiled sweetly, walking over to me in the center of the room. He pulled his phone from his pocket and tapped on the device until a song played through the speakers. Something slow and gentle.

"Okay, I'll dance with you," I returned his smile, unable to hide my bliss.

His arms found their way to my waist, pulling me in close to his chest. I lightly crossed my hands behind his neck, further closing the distance between us. This close, my senses were overwhelmed, experiencing every bit of him. I breathed in deeply, taking in the scent of his cologne- sweet and fresh yet delicate. My eyes shut and I soaked in the moment of peace, our bodies swaying to the music. We remained silent but holding each other felt like speaking a thousand words.

Though I could have stayed lost in that moment for eternity, the song ended in just a few short minutes, and Jungkook retrieved his phone from the top of the dresser. "I would love to continue, but we should figure out our sleeping arrangements," he noted, glancing at the bed.

I bit down on the tip of my finger. "Uh yeah, I don't have a couch or anything in here."

Sensing a nervousness in my response he offered quickly, "I'll sleep on the floor."

We'd just shared an intimate moment dancing with each other, what was the harm in pushing things a bit further? I was confident in my ability to control myself...sort of. There was no chance I was going to let him sleep on the hard, marble floor. I wouldn't even be able to sneak out to get additional blankets for him without risking getting caught.

"Don't be silly, we're adults! We can share a bed." I choked out, trying to sound confident in my decision. Jeju 2.0, except now I was painfully aware of Jungkook as a man. It was like seeing him through a brand-new pair of eyes.

Jungkook hesitated, trying to read my expression. "If you're okay with it, then."

I gave a reassuring nod to ease his concerns, before heading over to my wardrobe to find us both something to sleep in. The best I could do for him was a pair of oversized sweatpants and a t-shirt since I didn't wear much other than form-fitting shorts and tanks to sleep in myself. The image of him in a tiny pair of silk shorts was humorous, but I would spare him. I grabbed a pastel pink set for myself and threw him the clothes I'd found him.

"I'll go in the bathroom to change," I said, pointing to the door. "Just knock when you're done in here, so I know it's safe to come out."

I entered the bathroom and rested my hands against the porcelain sink, staring at myself in the mirror. What had I gotten myself into?