♡ 40

CHAPTER 40

I don't know what I was expecting in response. Stay with me. Rather than a reply, Jungkook tackled me, wrapping his arms around me, and nuzzling his head in the crook of my neck. The overwhelming scent of freshly washed laundry and spring flowers enveloped me. And warmth. Warmth that started as a tiny flame and grew into an inferno spreading through every nerve ending in my body. A sensation that could only be attributed to one thing. Love.

"If that's what you want," he whispered. "I won't ever leave your side, Y/N."

I pulled away just enough to meet his eyes. "That's what I want."

Our lips met with ease and eagerness, both of us fluent with this song and dance. But this time was different. It felt like the first time I was truly allowing myself to feel it in its full capacity, and it was exhilarating. Time seemed to stand still. It was just the two of us in limbo, conveying to each other all of things we were too shy to say with words.

His hands crept up my back, gripping me tighter and dragging me towards him. A greedy hunger was growing deep in the pit of my stomach. We were already pressed against one another, but I still needed him closer. Any closer, though, and I feared I would never peel myself away. I was already teetering on a very thin tightrope of self-control.

Jungkook leaned back, staring at me with dark eyes. "Stay with me."

"I will."

He ran his thumb over my lips, and his eyes followed. A gentle yet dangerous smile lit up his face as he let out a breathy chuckle. "Cute." He looked back up at me. "But that's not what I meant."

"Oh?" I questioned in confusion, but quickly realized what he was implying. "Oh." Redness rushed up to my cheeks and my heart fluttered in my chest.

"If that's what you want."

I felt my nerves wash away as the unbearable desire coursing through my body took the place of any anxiety. "That's what I want."

Jungkook stood from the couch and lifted me up into his arms. My legs wrapped around his hips as my arms crossed behind his neck. Once again, our lips collided, this time with more desperation than ever before. I could barely sneak a breath between our kisses as he carried me towards his room. Choosing between him and oxygen was an easy decision. Him. Every time.

I would only part from him to utter one thing. "I love you, Jungkook."

"I love you, Y/N."

~

Beaming rays of sunlight shone through the blinds, landing on my face, and pulling me from my peaceful slumber. My eyelids were heavy, but I forced myself to sit up in bed. I was alone, a rumpled pile of sheets next to me where I expected a body. A quick glance in the mirror across the room was enough for me to realize that perhaps, that was a good thing. I looked a mess. But what did I expect...?

I stumbled over to the bathroom, combed my fingers through my hair, and splashed some cool water on my face. Good enough. I'd be borrowing something to wear from Jungkook's closet since I didn't want to wear last night's outfit home. After ruffling through his clothing, I caught a glimpse of a large black graphic tee that would work as a dress for me.

I grabbed my belongings and exited the bedroom door, ready to make my escape. That was when I saw him. In the kitchen. Shirtless and humming to himself as he attended to a sizzling pan of food, which smelled so delicious my stomach growled on reflex. The noise was apparently loud enough to give away my position.

"Are you trying to run away, Y/N?" Jungkook giggled, turning to look at me. "I do like what you've done with my shirt- it's a good look."

"I thought you might've left," I mumbled, avoiding his gaze.

"No, I just didn't want to disturb you," he smiled. "You were in such a deep sleep. I figured I could make us some breakfast first."

"First?"

"You're not going to skip our last meeting at work, are you?" He tilted his head. "I wouldn't mind keeping you here all day, but I thought you might fight me on it."

To be honest, I'd completely forgotten about work. My mind was preoccupied with a plethora of other, more pressing thoughts. Like everything that had happened last night. Like the fact that I'd woken up in Jungkook's apartment and he was now cooking for us. Like the fact that this was what life could look like from now on...

"I'm not skipping," I chuckled, taking a seat at the kitchen bar.

"That's a shame," he winked. He turned his back to me and returned his focus to preparing our meal. "Are you excited for Paris next week?"

"I am." I nodded. "I'm mostly excited to see your work since you've been so private about it."

"Only because it's a surprise." He pulled two plates from the cabinet above him and began to serve the pancakes he'd been working on.

"I hate surprises."

"You'll like this one I hope," he grinned, placing the plate before me. "Enjoy."

I scrunched my nose, frustrated by his secrecy. My expression immediately softened when I inhaled and got a whiff of the delicious sweetness. I hungrily shoved a huge bite of the fluffy cake in my mouth. It tasted just as good as it smelled. Of course, it did. Jungkook was seemingly good at just about everything.

"It's amazing," I complimented between bites. "Can you cook for me every morning?"

"I wouldn't mind that."

"I do have to eat quickly, though. I will absolutely not be going to the office in just your shirt, so I need to stop home first."

"Aw, I think it's cute," he pouted.

I rolled my eyes, but I couldn't hold back the smile from my lips. "Then I'll keep this?" I toyed with the cotton fabric between my fingers.

"Keep it."