♡ 42

CHAPTER 42

~Paris - Day of the Show~

I was pacing back and forth backstage as chaos erupted around me. I had only a couple of hours to help all the designers get prepped before I would need to rush back to the hotel to get myself ready. I'd be watching the show from the comfort of the crowd- something that was completely out of the ordinary for me. The board of directors insisted that I act as the face of the company and mingle with the crowd. They promised to take care of everything behind the scenes and told me to just enjoy the show. Don't get me wrong, I trusted their ability, but I still felt uneasy.

"Thanks for helping me, Jiminie," I patted my brother's shoulder. He'd offered to assist before the show which helped provide me some comfort that things wouldn't be a complete disaster.

"No problem!" He beamed. "I think I'm a natural at this. You should consider hiring me."

"Right," I chuckled. He actually was doing a great job getting everybody to their places and making sure that all the clothing and models were accounted for. He managed to balance a stern hand with a pinch of sweetness perfectly. Everyone loved working with him.

"I'm serious!"

"I thought you wanted nothing to do with the family business."

"I changed my mind," he shrugged. "I wanted nothing to do with father's business but working with you is a different story."

Well, I certainly wouldn't complain about Jimin wanting to fill a role in the company. Even setting my personal biases aside, he was a dependable person with a lot of passion. "Let's talk about it when we're back in Korea."

Jimin gave me a wink and ran off with his clipboard, leaving me on my own. I wanted to briefly check in with each of the designers, and if I was being honest, I really wanted to see Jungkook. I was sure he was nervous. This was a huge show, even for him. I headed over to his station first where he was starting to unpack his belongings. He hurriedly covered up his pieces as soon as he saw me approaching.

"No peeking, Y/N," he pouted with a frown.

"I know, I know," I waved him off. "I just wanted to see if you were feeling okay."

My words seemed to cheer him up as his pouted lips turned up into a bashful smile that he attempted to hide. "I'm okay. I love doing this, so I don't get nervous so much as I get excited."

"You'll do amazing," I assured him. "I'll be eagerly awaiting your show from the audience."

"Promise you'll pay attention?"

"Of course, I will."

"Now get going," he giggled and snuck in a quick peck on my cheek before turning back to his workstation.

I could tell Jungkook wouldn't continue with what he was doing until I was clear out of view, so I hurried along to the other designers. He could keep his secrets for now. The rest of the designers appeared to be very busy and frazzled. This was the first major fashion show for most of them and their anxiety was apparent by their frantic behavior. I did what I could to ensure them that they had nothing to worry about, but I had a feeling it would be better if I kept my 'check-in' with them short. The only thing I could do now was hope for the best. The rest was up to them.

Back at the hotel, I started to ready myself for the night's event. This showcase was the epitome of grandeur and opulence. A simple dress wouldn't do. I had something special ordered from one of my favorite designers for the occasion. A stunning gown with an asymmetrical hem, much shorter in the front compared to the long flowing train in the back. The bodice of the ruby red dress was encrusted with gems and fine beadwork resembling lace that crept down the skirt before disappearing in the layers of fabric.

I chose to wear my hair in my usual style, loose curls, with just a bit pinned back to the side with a matching clip. My makeup was more dramatic than normal- lids dusted with shimmering gold shadow and black eyeliner and lips a deep crimson. When I glanced in the mirror, I barely recognized the person staring back at me. It's not like I never dressed up, I just never went all out to this extent. But I liked it. I felt like a goddess. Powerful.

Stepping outside and taking in a deep breath, the air felt different somehow. It felt like tonight was just the beginning of a beautiful story that was yet to come. I was lighter. Unburdened. Unafraid. Whatever came next, I was ready for. Excited for, even. I don't know what was so different about tonight. Maybe I'd just finally come to terms with who I was and what I wanted. What I deserved.

I approached the venue, now sparkling with lights and bustling with guests. I had to suffer through some polite greetings and small talk on my way in towards my seat. Both Jimin and Taehyung were already waiting for me, chatting with one another until I approached. We had seats right up front, closest to the runway. The perfect view.

"Look at you!" Taehyung raised his eyebrows. "You're almost on my level."

"Oh, shut up," I rolled my eyes and scrunched my nose as I took my seat.

"You two really became best friends, huh?" Jimin giggled.

Taehyung and I exchanged a mutual look of disgusting and spoke in unison, "NO."

"Sure," Jimin shook his head and turned his attention towards me. "I can't believe you're making your man go last."

"It wasn't my idea," I sighed. "He has the most renown out of the designers that we are presenting so the directors thought it would be wise to put him at the end. Build up the suspense or something."

"Wow, she didn't even say anything about the 'your man' bit," Taehyung snickered.

"Seriously, you're the worst," I groaned.

Our back and forth bickering stopped the moments the lights dimmed. Here we go.