A Hostage Taking

Lily woke up in the giant bed next to a roaring fire. Like Sam had promised, there was a flatscreen in the corner and a basket of fruit and baked goods.

It was almost like a holiday in a fancy hotel, except; she was being held hostage by a demon!

Lily jumped from the bed and cursed. Sam had dressed her in another set of purple cat pyjamas, only this pair had childish feet sewn in the bottom. She tripped and fell over them, tumbling onto the Persian rug.

"You patronizing son-of-a-bitch!" She hissed under her breath; she hoped that Sam hadn't heard her wake up. She needed to sneak out of this prison!

Lily tried the doorknob, but it was locked from the outside.

"How the hell do I get outta here?" She raged inwardly. "Dammit..."

Lily systematically searched the entire room for escape routes. The patio doors to the balcony were barred from the outside; the windows nailed shut. A long tapestry hung at the room's far end, obscuring something. Lily peered behind it, finding a tall narrow door.

That's when she remembered; Sam's room adjoined this one!

Lily pressed her ear to the wall and listened to him conversing with someone on his cell phone.

"Hello Angel--yep, I'll be seeing you shortly." He laughed softly. "No, she can't get out of the room. I tested her at supper. She couldn't conjure ice in a snowstorm. Relax!"

Lily heard his heavy footsteps cross the floor, exiting his bed-chamber. Sam's deep baritone became muffled as he walked up the hall.

She twisted the knob of the secret entrance, and of course, it was bolted shut.

If she indeed was a demon, maybe she could break it down. Her vision at the church had felt so real. In her other form, she was powerful, like a superhero. She smashed down a door with her bare hands! How hard could it be?

"Okay, that door's comin' down!"

Lily charged, smashing her entire body weight into heavy wood. She ricocheted backward from the impact, hitting the floor like a bag of rocks.

"Owwwww!"

Lily picked herself up, realizing the door didn't budge. She didn't even scuff the wood.

"Shit! I thought I was supposed to be strong!" Lily grumbled to herself, rubbing her tender shoulder. "But I still have a big problem. I don't know how to "demon."

She could almost hear the female monster mocking her subconsciously. Or maybe that voice was real?

"What do you want?" She sighed. "I can hear you, just show yourself."

Lily glanced into the bedroom mirror, and the demon's face stared back with growing dismay.

So? Will you let Sam win?

"Shut up." Lily griped crossing her arms. "I'm trying my best here!"

You're a failure, an embarrassment.

"NO! I'm NOT!" She snapped as angry tears clouded her vision. "I CAN DO THIS! Can't you teach me how to transform?"

Much to Lily's surprise, her clenched fists suddenly transformed. Her fingers were now coated in a strange black bone-like material, resembling two cement boxing gloves.

The same thing happened at the church!!

"Huh?" She whispered in awe. "How did that happen?"