Unwilling Disciples

"The lastest disciples are ready for assignments, master." The Collector handed Adam a datapad as he sat at his huge mahogany desk.

"Excellent, the men that succeed will receive the greatest gifts I can offer--" He rested his head on his hand, eying the woman carefully. "--Immortality and power."

"Yes, Master." The Collector nodded succinctly. "Power and legacy, something men find very important."

"Do you not wish for the same? Dearest." Adam's tone softened like a beckoning lover. "You are my most dependable agent; as a matter of fact, you have never failed me." Adam frowned, his thoughts wandering, "Owen, on the other hand-- has gone missing once again---shirking his responsibilities. I apologize for piling the increased workload onto your busy schedule."

"I would never defy you, master." She kept her face emotionless. "I will see to the trainees and any other tasks you require."

"Of course, you will." He nodded. "Given our history, I know failure is not an opinion for you." Adam rounded the desk, placing clawed hands on her shoulders. With deliberate slowness, he kneaded her tense muscles. The woman stiffened, pulling away.

"Master, I must get back to work..."

"Don't be like this, Twila," He spoke her name with a sing-song voice. We need to talk about our upcoming engagement, the marvellous dress I'd like you to wear."

"A dress I will ruin." She stated matter-of-factly. "I would not waste the expense on the likes of me."

"But dearest, the final blood-letting will make you stronger than Owen. Are you not excited? Your new powers will rival that of the Goddess."

The woman felt a wave of despair wash over her; Adam still hadn't changed his mind, and he would make her go through with it.

"But master, Lily has returned." She answered tightly. "I thought for certain; you would rather--"

"Marry her, instead?" He smiled like a ravenous wolf, stalking its dinner. "That isn't necessary. She's been bound to me by God. You, on the other hand, are a gift I have waited for centuries to find. The most powerful daughter of Prince of Darkness--now firmly under my control---."

"As you wish," She answered woodenly. "I will obey your commands."

"Ah...my sweet," His head lowered, lips caressing her neck. "If only you could be more like her, then I'd have more reasons to punish you. But you've always been such a good girl. Once Lily has returned, I will direct my wicked ways to her."

"Master," Twila swallowed back a wave of revulsion. "I must go now. I need to see the recruits; the moon will be full tonight. They still require a transfusion, and it needs time to acclimate."

"Yes, fine." Adam released her with a disappointed sigh. "See to it, and send them out. I won't consider them worthy without a fresh kill."

"Samael will be watching. The chosen one will be the man he cannot see and therefore not defeat."

"I have high hopes, Twila dear," His endearment slid against her soul like a torrent of rancid grease. "It's so wonderful that he cannot see you."

If only Sam could, Twila sighed inwardly. She might have been saved, but now it's much too late.

Soon she would be dead...or, more specifically, undead.

"So far, the blood tests for this group have all been negative." She responded stonily. "If they have the gift, it could still be awakened through our training. Unfortunately, you will likely create another Owen from his group, not the super soldier you are hoping for."