Escape

Adam half-carried, half dragged Twila through the abandoned halls of Lynch Infotech. 

"This is your fault!!!" He barked. "You have angered the Creator! He will punish you!!"

It was all Twila could do to remain aware. Despite her struggles, she ingested a large amount of the black poison.  Her body was dying, her arms and legs listless like a ragdoll.

The Seers' shrine opened at Adam's command, and he yanked her through the darkness toward the mystical column of blue light. Adam dropped Twila unceremoniously before it, like a bag of worthless trash. She lay there broken, her eyes stared blankly, close to death.

"What happened to her?" One of the Seers whispered. 

"You interrupted our engagement party." Adam huffed petulantly. "She will die, but there seems to be a delay."

"Did she drink enough blood?" A bearded seer questioned. 

"I don't know." Adam gritted. "She defied me."

"I do not understand. She was special."

"Does that?" Adam gestured to the lifeless body smeared with black blood. "Look special to you? It should have taken effect by now; she looks dead, not undead."

The Seers motioned to the blue light that emanated from the bracelet.

"The light called out Twila's name, many voices." The head Seer spoke nervously. "And then it fell silent."

"That is because she failed!!!" Adam bellowed with fury. "She is worthless!! Just as worthless as Lily and Eve!!"

"Master...maybe spurning a divine gift's not a good idea." The seer desperately attempted to calm him before they were scorched for blasphemy.

"How dare you question me!!"

The light began to intensify, expanding from the bracelet. It gathered around Twila's body, enveloping her in its strange arcane glow. 

"Creator!" Adam bellowed. "You have sent me another failure!!!"

"Master!" The Seer shuddered in fear. "Do not question....our Lord!!!"

The infusion of blue now overwhelmed them. Adam and the Seers cried out, shielding their eyes from the agonizing light. 

And then, with a sudden earth-shattering crack of thunder, Twila and the bracelet disappeared.

Adam stared dumbfounded at the spot where her body had laid just seconds before.

"The divine magic is gone!" One Seer shouted in panic. "It's all gone! The Creator's link has been severed!"

"NO!!!!!!" Adam shrieked. "Twila! What have you DONE!?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lily slept soundly, curled up under a mountain of soft fuzzy blankets. She had no idea how long she'd been out and wasn't in any hurry to leave the blissful comfort of the bed.

"Morning, sleepyhead." Sam's hand slid under the sheet and tickled the bottom of her foot. "Or should I say, afternoon?"

"Mmmmm...go away." Lily moaned. "I feel like shit."

"I have fresh coffee and a hot breakfast."

Lily cracked an eye. "What kinda breakfast?"

"Eggs, bacon, home fries, biscuits. I've also got a big bag of fresh beignets."