The Garden

A middle-aged woman dug a hole with a small trowel.  She planted a tiny seed inside the indentation, covering it with a rehearsed tenderness.  Alina worked in her Garden from morning until night, saving the rare plants destined for extinction.  The Garden had many names, Eden, Alcinoos, and the Garden of the Sun Gods.  It could grow and regenerate certain living things as long as they remained inside the divine boundary. 

This Garden had been her home since the very beginning.  She lived in a simple drystone hut covered by a thatched roof of water reeds.  This place was nestled at the base of Mt. Mashu, hidden within an enchanted cedar forest.  Alina was secure and safe within the naturally occurring walls of an ancient impact crater, the remnants of Samael's explosion caused by his deliverance to Earth.

One of the first children born with the gift, Alina's birth was rather complicated.

As the origin story goes, two angels descended from the heavens and mated with the existing primitives.  These angels created a new form of hybrid offspring named Adam and Lilith.  

These two beings were meant to be a mating pair.  Their children would become modern humanity. 

Yet, this plan went terribly awry. 

The new humans were ill-suited, and Lilith refused to procreate with Adam. She was equal to her mate, yet he was a demanding, overbearing tyrant.  Heaven was forced to send in an overseer to counsel the young couple, and Samael came to earth with a mighty blast of blue.  

He, unfortunately, made things much, much worse.  Samael fell in love with the wild creature that was Lilith, and in turn, she found herself captivated by the dark angel. Lily transformed into a horrific beast, escaping into the night with her lover at her side.

 Adam was furious at his loss.

 He ravaged the planet, searching for his errant wife.

 Soon vast forests were nothing more than petrified deserts, the sky rained molten ash, and the seas boiled with brimstone. Adam's power knew no bounds and would plunder until he knew his own extinction.

Duty-bound Lily hatched a plan.  Using seduction, she lured her ex-husband to her warm and awaiting arms. Lily had a secret ability Adam had not yet experienced. She could absorb the divine energy of other creatures and use it as a weapon against them. Lily sealed Adam's power with a simple touch, taking his life force.  

 However, despite her good intentions, it was not enough to kill him. Lily could only level the playing field for earth creatures, but Adam's evil remained.  

 Sadly, Lily's human body could not withstand the influx of Adam's power.  She saved the earth from disaster, but the flame of her soul flickered out. 

Within Sam's grief-stricken embrace, Lily died peacefully, her final words a profession of eternal love for him and his kindness to her. 

The dark angel was condemned forever to pine away for the woman he lost and feel guilt over his failed mission...

Then, Sam became a full-fledged demon, letting malevolent darkness touch his heart. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adam, now without a spouse, refused to fornicate with primitive humans.  He captured a young woman and transformed her, forcing the girl to drink his blood.  Adam's divine ability was all in his blood. His plasma was a unique elixir, permanently altering human genomes.  

He created a new mate, partially inbred from himself. She was an unholy assimilation; he named her Eve: The Living One. 

Yet Samael would not allow him a happily ever after...