Starlight/Chapter 2

The Old Time Diner was a time capsule from the 70s, with orange curtains, lime green upholstery, and formica tables. It was once a very profitable business, selling takeout to the boomer generation. Unfortunately, as King City gentrified, sales faltered. The new clientele favoured avocado toast and expresso, not old-school burgers and heart-attack fries. Yet, Lily loved this place; it was unpretentious and quiet. She could enjoy a solitary cup of coffee without the burden of lively conversations.

"You lookin' for someone darlin'?" A waitress glanced up from her tabloid, greeting Lily with a clumpy gaze of blue mascara. She couldn't help but stare; it appeared like two spiders had died, curling up on the woman's eyelids. The waitress snapped her gum in irritation, pissed at the interruption of a customer.

"Uh...it's cool," Lily gestured to a man seated in a dingy booth. "He's over there."

"Call me if you want somethin'." She raised the newspaper back over her face. "I'll get to ya---eventually."

David was seated in a secluded corner, incognito to the other patrons. He wore an expensive wool suit, fresh from a board meeting. He appeared uneasy, his dark brown eyes nervously scanning his phone. Lily was instantly concerned.

"Hi, hun. How was work today? Is something wrong?" She smiled warmly in greeting.  David regarded her in return with a blank, emotionless expression.

"We need to talk."

"Uh... okay...sure...what's on your mind?" She slid across from him in the filthy duct-taped vinyl seat.

"It's us, Lily," He sighed, tapping his fingers restlessly. "We've been together a long time. Our lives are not improving."

Great, David had invited her here for another lecture. How thrilling.

She said nothing in response, focusing instead on the intricate striations of the fake marble tabletop. 

"You know what I want out of life. I expected a beautiful house on a hill, a fantastic car, and my peers' respect." He grumbled. "I'm a doctor, for Christ's sake, and I deserve it."

"...Listen, David, I'm trying my best...." She defended with exasperation. "Maybe I can pick up a job waitressing on the weekends for extra cash..."

"Lily, I'm breaking up with you," David exclaimed suddenly, cutting off her words. "I've reconnected with my ex; she just finished her Ph.D. I still care about her, and honestly, I need to explore my feelings."

She leaned away from him slowly, her face a mask of shock. Lily replied quietly, having difficulty formulating actual words. "David---I gave up my career for you, my dreams. I'm 35 years old and have done everything you asked for. I pictured us together, always."

"Lily, I know, and I feel guilty about that." He stated matter-of-factly. "You are a beautiful woman, and I thought that alone would be enough, but it's not. You and I are getting older, and I'm not attracted to the person you've become."

"No, you're attracted to a big wallet." She crossed her arms defensively as betrayal boiled deep inside. "Your ex is a goddamn scientist; her family is super-rich."

"Listen, Lily. You used to be edgy, and the sex was amazing. But then you took that office job. It killed you inside. We only have sex once a week!"

"That's what regular people do!" She sputtered defensively. "Plus, you wanted me to quit being an artist. You told me to grow up!"

"Yeah," He frowned disdainfully. "But I didn't know you'd wind up so--damn normal."

Incredulousness marred Lily's face as she laughed with indignation. "I don't believe this! You think I'm boring!?"