Up In Flames/Chapter 3

The land around her rumbled and shook as Lily stepped past the drystone fence. She shrieked in horror as the ground whipped like a tidal wave, tearing a gaping slash through the earth's crust. With a deafening crack, the runaway furrow raced toward her like a bolt of lightning, halting inches from her feet.

After a few seconds that seemed like an hour, she cautiously got up the nerve to peer into the crevasse. Lily saw nothing but a bottomless expanse of murky darkness.

"What the fuck..!" She seethed, shivering with fear. "What the hell is going on!"

Swallowing back her panic, Lily retreated with unsure steps.

"Sam, you bastard." She hissed, a river of sweat running down her back. "You didn't think to mention a giant sinkhole!?"

 Suddenly a powerful aftershock rattled the ground, knocking Lily hard to her knees.

"Oh god, what now!?"

She raised her eyes to a horrifying sight.

A gigantic demonic hand exploded from the fissure with a spray of dirt and stone. It was light grey, with long sickle-shaped talons. Red veins pulsated under its pallid skin like worms writhing inside a rotting corpse. The hand connected to a winding wrist that slithered sickeningly without any skeletal structure. The grotesque fingers flared and waggled mockingly before bending into a serpent-like snout. It darted its "head" back and forth, a predator seizing up its helpless prey.

"WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......" Lily screeched in horror as she tore off in a frantic run.

The monster quickly pounced on her, like a rattlesnake striking a tiny rodent. Its knarled digits curled around her waist with an inescapable grip. Lily screeched and kicked with all her might but couldn't break free. Within seconds, the creature was dragging her roughly along the ground. 

"SAM!!!!!!! CYNDRA!!!!! HELP MEEEEE!"

Grappling for anything substantial, she tried to hang on. But Lily was no match for the supernatural force of the Lovecraftian monster. She was yanked violently into the deep recesses of the hole, one last terrified scream echoing across the moor. The ground resealed itself like a newly mended seam, burying Lily alive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cyndra eyed the stone wall, wringing her hands with anxiety. She walked across the kitchen, lifting the receiver to the landline.

"Sam, pick up, pick up." She grumbled pensively.

"Why, hello, Cyndra," He answered with a rueful tone. "Let me guess-"

"--Lily walked outside the barrier!" She wailed in despair. "I'm a terrible babysitter! I took my eyes off her for one minute, and now she's gone!"

"I told you," Sam scolded. "She never listens."

"What happened to her!?"

"Relax, it's just a spell," Sam soothed. "She won't get far."

"But!?" Cyndra snarked with exasperation. "What are you going to do about it!?"

"She'll be busy for an hour or so. I've got time." He chuckled without an ounce of worry. "I'm picking up some milk and making a quick stop at the cafe---"

"Sam! Get your ass home!" Cyndra's voice was now full of murderous wrath. "Don't dilly-dally! She is probably terrified!!!"

"Oh, I bet she is.  Can I get you a coffee?" He continued conversationally. 

"Sam!"

"--I'm standing in line."

"Fine." She grunted. "Two creams, one sugar."