Sam Coleman

Two detectives entered the intensive care unit at King City General, flashing badges. They headed directly to the waiting room, where a lone man sat quietly.

"Are you Mr. Sam Coleman?" The first detective inquired with a huff of self-importance. "I am detective Dunn, and this is officer Dugard.

Mr. Coleman replied calmly in a deep soothing baritone. "What can I do for you, gentlemen?"

"We'd like you to come down to the station to answer a few questions regarding the woman you found."

"I'm free now." He smiled disarmingly, without an ounce of worry.

The detectives took a seat across from him in worn vinyl chairs.

"Mr. Colman, what happened to Lily Foster?"

"Oh, is that her name?" He smirked. "Thank you for the extraneous information. Are you gentlemen new at this job?"

Dunn laughed incredulously and crossed his arms.

"So, is this how it's going to be, Mr. Coleman?"

"Well, there isn't much to say." Sam continued. "I found the girl lying in a pool of blood on the bridge. I brought her to the hospital as any good Samaritan would."

"How did you get here, Mr. Colman?" Dunn inquired, his voice full of suspicion. "You didn't call an ambulance."

"Well...I carried her."

"It's five miles from the park to this hospital. Surely calling an ambulance would have been faster."

"I assure you. I'm very fast."

"Your story just isn't adding up. I find your timeline highly unlikely."

"Do you think I'm lying?" Sam sighed ruefully, a slight smile gracing his lips. "Tell me, do I look like a person that would deceive you?"

The men instinctively glanced into Sam's stoic face. They were instantly mesmerized by the glow of his emerald gaze. Eyebrows furrowed in confusion, the two inspectors found themselves unable to look away.

"Now, gentlemen, you will do as I say." Mr. Coleman cautioned, "I suggest you pay attention. I will only say this once."

Both men stared blankly.

"The girl was attacked last night by a drunken predator and had nothing to do with his untimely death. A semi-truck hit him after he fell from the overpass. I found Ms. Foster on the bridge and brought her here. I'd appreciate it if you treated her kindly; she's been through quite the ordeal. She needs your sympathy instead of your accusations. Do we have an understanding?"

Both men nodded in unison.

"Now, I suggest you leave." He waved his hand dismissively. "Your mere presence greatly annoys me."

The two men stood robotically and staggered from the room.

No sooner had the large double doors swung shut, a group of women burst back into the ICU, aggressively charging the nurse's station.

"Hey!" A tall, athletic blonde raised her voice in a panic, "We're here to see Lily Foster. Is she okay!?"

"Are you family?" The charge nurse answered dourly.

"What!? No! Lily has no family. I'm her best friend, Jennifer."

"I'm afraid I can't release any details to you about her condition."

"Somebody called me!" Jen shouted. "They told me she was here!"

"A man admitted Lily Foster to the ICU an hour ago, but I can't release her medical status."