Chapter Twelve: My Mother

Celestia snapped out of it and ran with Mirabel. "Casita! Help us up there." They Both climb up one of the beams as it pushed the rest of the family out. Celestia almost slipped but she catches herself and Mirabel lifts her on her shoulders. She catches the candle and looked as the house crumbled more. "Let's go!" They make it down but Celestia gets her foot pinned under a rock. She tries to pull it out and away as they see the tower part coming for them. Then the Casita protects them one last time. Mirabel shielded her little sister, cause she would be even more ashamed if it were to kill her instead of herself.

The dust clears and Celestia looked at the candle as it's flames died out. Her eyes closed again and Julieta went over to the two. "Mis queridos hijos." She whispered and got the rubble piece off of Celestia that pinned her foot. "Are you alright?" She asked them. Celestia nodded but Mirabel didn't say a word. Pepa called for her sister. "O-ok. I'll be right back." Julieta went back to the group. Mirabel got up and then helped her little sister up carefully since she is hurt. "G-go. Go and I'll catch up with you.." She nodded and went off, leaving a small trail of sand for her to follow.

Celestia limped to the others to show that she was okay too. Abuela went up to her and tried to give her a hug of moral support, but Celestia felt her real mother control her once more. She spoke through her daughter, telling Abuela. "No!! You do not lay a finger on my own daughter! Not after what you did." Celestia came back to her senses again as tears fell from her eyes. "Abuela, if this is really how you treat those without a gift.. I'd rather be a proud orphan.." she ran off crying, following the sand path. Julieta tries to stop her but felt weak, then she sees Mirabel gone. "Mirabel? Where's Mirabel?!" She cried out for her daughter.

(Later that morning.)

Fernando heard that Celestia ran off with her sister without a trace. He was worried sick about her, all he had picked up was her three dolls. The one made to be her had a button eye, an arm and a leg missing. As for the other two, they were torn bad and some of the hair was gone. "They still haven't found them yet?" He asked, sad as all can be. His mother Carmen shook her head. "I'm afraid not, little Fern.. Surely they are out there somewhere." Carmen takes the dolls and began to fix them up. It was the least they could do to help.

Celestia had caught up to her big sister, even if she limped the rest of the way. She sits down carefully and wiped her tears away. "Come here.." Mirabel pulled her sister close and held her close to her, stroking her tiny head, kissing the top of it and humming a small tune to her. She began to speak in a hoarse manner from all her yelling. "I'm so sorry. I was just tired of how you were being treated. I just wanted you to be an equal of the house.." Celestia picked up the photo of her mom and dad and her as a baby, and opened it up more. It wasn't just a single photo. It was a collage of the three all together. "Sometimes i wonder if they were ever here for me before everything happened today. If they could hear me."

"You and me both sis.. I know you should not have seen any of it and basically become the therapist of the entire family.. well at least I had you and Camilo there to cheer me up when i needed it." Mirabel smiles gently through the saddening pain. "Hey. I'm sure that they can hear you, even if they can't feel your presence. And if they were here, they would still be proud of where you came from. Just like how I am always proud of you." She reassured Celestia and lets her get it all out of her system. Celestia began to sing gently.

"It's hard to remember, a summer or winter. When she hasn't been there, for me.. a friend and companion, I can always depend on. My mother. That's who I mean.." Celestia looked at her reflection in the water. "I've taken for granted, the seeds that he planted. He's always behind everything." She sets the picture down where it was dry. "A teacher, a seeker. A both arms out reacher. My father, that's who I mean."

The reflection changes as it showed Celestia when her real mother and father first had her as a baby. It looked really sweet and heart warming. "Wish I could slow down, the hands of time. And keep things the way they are." Her hair blew in the small breeze. "If they said so, I would give them the world. If I could... I would." Mirabel rubbed her back, doing her best to calm her down.

"The love and the laughter, from here ever after. Is all that they say that they need." Celestia looked up and saw her mom and dad there as spirits. They sang to her. "Our friend and companion. We can always depend on. Our daughter. That's who we mean." "My family. That who I need.." Celestia hugged the both of them as she felt secure once more. "That's who I mean.." they finished the song together and both Stella and Ricardo disappeared. Celestia fell into the water face first and Mirabel got her out of the water. She kept her close so she could be warm since the water was really cold.

Abuela turned up some time later and looked at the two. She sits down next to them and then look at the river. "I never thought that I would see this place again.." Mirabel looked to her and then asked. "Where Abuelo Pedro..?" Abuela nodded and sees how badly Celestia was shivering. She gave her her shawl and Celestia keeps warm. Then Abuela began to talk about the entire thing in a new light. How they got together, announcing the triplets, everything.

"I was given a miracle.. a second chance.." Abuela looked out beyond the river. "And I was so afraid of losing it. And i lost sight of who the Miracle was really for." She sniffed. "And.. I am so sorry." "Y-y-you suffered through s-s-so much." Celestia sniffed and then sneezed. "It just d-d-doesn't mean you c-c-can pour it all out onto everyone else.." "I know.. I know your sister, she never hurt our family..We're all broken, because of me." Mirabel takes her hands. "Abuela.. I can finally see." She walked with Abuela out into the river. "We are a family because of you, we were given a miracle because of you. There is nothing that we can't fix. We all can do it together." Mirabel wiped her tears away and Abuela smiles softly. "I asked Pedro for help... Mirabel, he sent me you."

The two of them hug it out and Celestia watched them from afar. A bunch of butterflies flew around them as the sun came up. Celestia tries getting up herself, but the pain from her foot being smashed under the rubble made it a bit difficult. She stayed down and then Mirabel picked her up. "There there." Suddenly, Bruno comes out of the bushes on a horse with a smaller one behind it. He went on and on at Abuela if she were to punish Mirabel, but then he was hugged by her. "Oh Brunito.." Celestia hides herself from him, a bit shy.

They needed to get back home, fast