CHAPTER 10 - Of Chess

"You son of a—"

"Ralph, hang on, it's me..." Nova raised his hands in surrender as the portal died out behind him. After the duel with Una, after hearing Eleni say that she worried for her brother, he had made an impulsive decision, traveling straight between the enemy Realms.

Without stopping to even hear him out, Ralph thumped his half-finished bottle of whiskey on a table and jerked his hands. Writhing flames of fire engulfed the drawing room before one could even blink. His face rippled heatedly, red irises blazing stronger than his power, a stance held as if they were in the ring of the Conquest. As if he were... a foe.

Bloody Hell.

As proof and defense, Nova did what he hadn't, up until now—released his own Fire, a shield against his. One of the Throne's powers.

The sensation of the new element oozing from his palms was something familiar and yet so foreign. Quite aware that fire won't hurt him anymore, but Ralph's charming new house looked far too precious to be subjected to a midnight brawl, and thence, Nova shielded it all. A liberating sensation, was all he felt in the moment.

He was in the Summer Realm, the truth of it all stung Nova—a place he had visited far too many times... for one forbidden sorcerous rendezvous. Back then, the air felt warm on his skin, making him sweaty, forcing him to wear simple thin cotton tunics and open-buttoned vests... but hereon it was much pleasant, while his Fire was now directed towards one grand King of the Summer Realm.

Across the pair of two wide settees, face still quivering in vengeful rage, it took Ralph a few moments too long to realize what Nova had just done, who he really was, which twin, precisely.

They didn't speak a word, while Ralph withdrew his magic back and roved his fingers through his blonde hair. Nova walked around and plopped himself on one comfortable settee, it was like a bed he could fall asleep onto.

"Apologies, Nova... I just..."

"Well, at least I got to test my new fire," he shrugged. My face scares me too, yes.

"That," he said, "will take some time to get used to. For you and everyone. Good shield though, for a beginner. Ask Doran to teach you Smoke magic as well, he is the best at it."

Like his brother.

Then, his eyes widened in terror and he yelped—

"You have the portal, too!"

Nova stilled.

"How!" Ralph demanded. "I mean. You didn't-"

"Milan... made two of them," Nova mumbled.

Ralph seemed to go freeze for a beat but then he hurriedly walked to perch on the settee opposite to his. "First things first, Nova. How long have you been using this? Did you travel alone across Realms?"

Nova's eyes darted left and right, mouth drawn in a thin line.

"Nova!" Ralph looked scandalized, as if he were scolding his own younger sibling.

"Well, I-I just went home last night and now I'm... here." With the portal's malfunctioning detour at a somewhat mysterious graveyard full of ravens.

Ralph's eyes softened, as if he saw right through him. "I am glad you went home. Must feel... nice."

Ralph hadn't been home either, the realization hit Nova like a dagger's stab. He let his gaze roam around his house. Different than a palace which they were accustomed to, just as Eleni had said. Must get lonely. With and without people around.