CHAPTER 11 - Of Scrolls and Ciders

One could ask Ralph about all the wines in the world, not about socializing first thing in the morning.

Around the Autumn palace, as far as the eye could see, there were people everywhere. Patrolling guards, a training armory buzzing with sweaty people, noisy stables and pastures, never-ending great hall teeming with people, courtiers, maids, butlers, servants carrying dishes to another far-end passage, loud guffawing of the household. He had forgotten just how crowded a royal residence was.

When Nova had landed his shimmery, brain-freezing portal in a small armory, the coastal autumn breeze had instantly made hackles arise on Ralph's skin-

Those Earth elementals will use their poison plants as weapons of regicide. Those Earth elementals will offer you a sugary draught, then hold a sword to your throat. Those Earth elementals will dig your grave with an earthquake of their own creation.

The lessons from school flashed in his head; an unabridged subject - The Enemies of Fire. He wondered whether Doran had had similar recollections from their school of Igniskee, when he first came here two months ago, to have his injured hands cured with the said 'poison plants.' What they taught at Autumn Realm in turn; Ralph could only imagine.

"I suppose," Nova said, as they set out towards the palace like royal rogues, "Welcome to the Autumn Realm. Is this perhaps your first time here?"

"Not really." Ralph answered, looking at a giant ruby ring on his mid-finger. The 'immense pleasure' of visiting the Autumn Realm was still fresh in his memories, which was twenty years back, as a kid of five, when his father had been a Defensor in the then Conquest. Safe to say, the most baneful year of his existence, for he had never seen him after that.

Armored sentinels, after spotting Nova emerging from the armory with, well, Ralph, had blinked. One guard had apologized with a heavy stutter that he and his entire squad had somehow missed him walking out of his chambers. Nova had coughed then patted the guard's shoulder good-naturedly, 'forgiving him' for a mistake that wasn't his. Ralph held in his amusement. The portal was indeed going to land him into uncharted situations if he wasn't careful.

For a moment, Ralph had forgotten Nova was now the High King, for he carried himself with a simple air, dressed in a tweed jacket and his measured footsteps ringing crisp. People revered a Conqueror like they revered the Throne. They would be chanting his name as a prayer or as a curse, depending on their predicament.

And yet he had chosen to stay at his small house.

The sky-high barricades which Nova had built around himself ever since the disastrous day of the Conquest were lowered to an extent where he was somewhat within everyone's reach. Perhaps the distraction of using a portal, seeing bits of his past life, after all the enslavement had been good for him.

A soldier took the small cloth bag and the huge ledger which Ralph had brought along, assuring him that they'd have it placed in a chamber he'd be given. Ralph missed Ruby who would've been in constant danger in the Autumn Realm. But he knew the people in his Realm, in his village would look after her, for Phoenixes to the Summer folks were as sacred as sea-serpents were to the Winter folks.

Nova spoke about how Doran had entirely healed with the Head Alchemist fussing over him day after day. About how Eleni and Una constantly bickered and Arlette added fuel to the fire, then there was little Amelia, with a polite smile stuck to her face. It surprised Ralph to hear Nova say that he felt out of place for once in his life.

"Ah, these womenfolk." Ralph shook his head. "Handful as always. Though—"

A mild clearing of throat rang from behind, making them both halt mid-step and turn.