CHAPTER 16 - Of an Alchemist

Nova felt wrecked by the time the day had rolled further into midnight, but a sense of purpose drove him out of his confines.

He had managed to patch a few bruises off in the privacy of his chambers with all the available naperies he could find, but hadn't the strength to work his healing magic after losing so much blood. His mouth felt dry, bones hurt and flesh singed and brain seemed fizzy like a frothing beer, as he peeked out of the door to his chamber. He needed help.

The guards outside instantly thumped their feet and bowed in sync. They weren't going to leave him alone.

"Hey folks, mind leading the way to the alchemical room and let's take the most coveted passage, shall we?"

***

Stubborn moonlight penetrated the thick canopy of clouds, drenching the world in a violet haze as they walked the quiet stretches of labyrinthic passages. Nova wondered what his friends were up to, now that the coronation was looming overhead. He scoffed to himself - they would be planning, strategizing, arranging the welcome of royals and nobles from all the Realms, while he-in all his Conqueror glory-had been battered into a pulp.

Damn you, Cruz, Nova murmured as the torn flesh of his arm throbbed concealed under his long-sleeved overcoat.

"Are you hurt, Your Majesty?" One of the two hefty guards following Nova, asked with a low, fearful voice.

Nova gave barest of the nods, knowing it was futile to pretend otherwise. He was unable to stop his limping, unlike the grimaces he muffled whenever a bruise twitched on his side.

"In your... chambers?" he asked again.

"Yes. I was working out. Got a little... excited, is all," responded Nova, with a little shrug.

"At... midnight?" The guard pressed again, with every polite bone in his body.

"Mhm." Nova leaned in conspiratorially, "Highly effective. It's the moon's energy, I swear. Give it a try."

The young soldier nodded excitedly, looking dazed with an absurd determination.

Soon, the wide passage leading to the alchemical workroom came into view. Nova had been here tons of times, during his training days along with Una, who had loved this art of potion-making once, before limiting herself to studying it just for clearing the assessments. However, the alliance between Spring and Autumn Realms extended not only to their mutual veneration for flora and fauna, but also to the magic of healing, of recuperation and growth. Autumn Realm leaned heavily on the physical prowess all the while cradling their flowers close, whereas the Spring Realm achieved harmony through chords of music and theatre, openness to change and whimsies. Like a pea and a watermelon thriving in a pod.

The autumn guards flanked themselves outside as he entered through the heavy oak doors. Aware that an alchemical workroom would never be empty, no matter how long the moon has been in the skies-since certain plants bloomed only in the darkness, some potions were to be stirred only under a full moon night-Nova braced himself to face a few alchemical healers.

However, there was one person he wanted to avoid at all costs, and as his bloody luck had it, she stood right in the center of the vast room.

Miss Joanna, the Head Alchemist of the Autumn Realm.

A numbing guilt in his guts had made him keep his distance from her ever since the Battle, but she had always greeted him with her soft, pleasant smile every time they crossed paths. The reminders of what they had gone through, of what she had gone through made spiders crawl on his skin.

She didn't need to see the face that had given her a trauma of a lifetime.

"Nova! It's so good to see you."