CHAPTER 19 - Of a Ledger

A single lantern with a fluttering Ice-light, hung from the tent, casting a dim silver haze around. A cloaked man walked inside, shirking his rain-soaked hood and swiped his muddy boots on the wooden rail placed beside a cabinet.

"It is confirmed, Grandfather," said the messenger, after a deep bow. "There had been an intrusion."

Never any peace around, is there?

Balancing his weight on the handle of the cane, he stood up to face the arrival.

"You know what I'm more intent to hear about."

The messenger stood up straighter. "H-He is fine. Found him near that statuette."

Grandfather took a deep breath, old age catching up with him more and more with every passing day. He simply looked at the shaggy-haired dingus, waiting for him to stutter out more words.

The messenger gulped. "And he... well, the one guarding him tonight was... well, h-he is nowhere to be found. The wards, surprisingly had all come down."

Who could possibly break sorcerous spells?

A shadow arose in the corner of the tent and the messenger flinched and gulped, looking like he was about to flee but thought better.

"Do I pay you for delivering insubstantial information?"

Sweat glistened on the dingus's forehead and he shook his head. "No, no. There's more, Grandfather. A massive sorcerous energy that penetrated the area and it all b-broke down. It unfortunately happened only when our best sorcerer was off-duty."

"Hmm." Grandfather let out a long exhale, clutching his cane's knob tighter. 

Sorcerous energy penetrated the wards...

The tent turned darker.

"Grand—fa—ther... p—please... I'll find out who... they were." A choking, guttural sound haltered his words. He clutched his throat as blood poured out of his open, heaving mouth. The shadowy mass swirled with a swift whoosh, and curled around his slouched body.

"Should've caught the intruder, my boy."

The dingus fell on his knees, hands still wound around his neck, blood dribbling down and pooling on the floor.

Another carpet ruined, Grandfather sighed.

"P-Please." His eyes fluttered.

"You have just set an example of incompetency for others."

As the man writhed in pain, Grandfather picked up his new and elegant pipe, the one that lasted him for days on end without a refill of Jolly Leaves needed. The bowl was carved from pear-wood, its curvy handle fitting perfectly between his wrinkled fingers. He had to thank the maker of this beauty and order a few more. 

The tent fell silent. Light shone as the triumphant, dark shadow recoiled into itself, making way for the moon rays to flicker back to life. A little raven was now perched on the flap that worked as a window and gave a gentle caw.

Grandfather inhaled the aromatic musk of the leaves with a long drag from his dear pipe and knocked the cane on the stony floor near the silent man's head, before stepping over his stomach and crossing the threshold of the tent. Out unto the moon, he exhaled the smoke, watching the wisps mingle with the mist on the ground.

One look back at the dead fellow, Grandfather chanted a prayer to the Throne to bless his useless, one-elemented soul.

Replaceable little fool.

***

Eleni held a small watering can in hand. The potted plants in her balcony were tinted with vibrant buds and blossoms, the leaves so green that it would put the entire Autumn Realm's woods to shame.