Chapter 9 - Auction (part 1)

Kurapika couldn't help but smile as his lover ended his time on stage, and he probably drew a few eyes from how hard he was applauding, but he shrugged them off. Kurapika was working as security, and heavily guarded who was coming in and out of the auction hall.

He felt a tap on his shoulder, and he glanced over it, seeing the person he was on shift with. "Shift change." Then he left. A fed-up guy who needed a pay rise.

Kurapika sighed and began walking over to the refreshments table. It was a long line of food in all three courses. Kurapika thought for a second and began taking food for himself, unconsciously picking up a few of Leorio's favourites. He paused at the deserts table: there were the cutest cake pops. He was rather amused at the design with its little ears. Picking one up, he was surprised to find that it was squishy, even though it looked thoroughly baked and iced. Cake pops? Mochi? He couldn't tell, but it was admittedly cute.

"It's a weird desert, no, sunshine?" Leorio had spotted Kurapika from afar and began making his way over. "The design is rather..." 

"Childish, I know." Kurapika laughed lightly, but picked one up and placed it on his plate anyway.

Leorio smiled, "Yeah, but you know, might try one-" 

"Dr Paladnight? Could we borrow you for a moment?" Some random guy had appeared, snatching Leorio's attention away from his sunshine. 

Kurapika saw a flash of annoyance in Leorio's eyes, but it soon subsided, and Leorio said, "Of course, sir, give me a moment."

In the end, Leorio did not take the cake pop, but took his plate rid of it, away. Kurapika felt a sting of jealousy but subsided the feeling asap. He began to walk away to find and reserve two seats when he stopped and stared at the cake pops then at Leorio and then back at the cake pops once more. He glanced around him and once he was sure no one was looking, he took another one and placed it together next to the previously taken one. He smiled a little at it but quickly stopped out of embarrassment. 

*

Kurapika had finished most of the plate apart from the cake pop. He really thought it was too cute to eat and poked the squishy thing once more. Why and how the fuc-? 

He shook his head and bit into it: it was sweet and delicious to bite into. Kurapika had a thing for sweet treats but this was certainly different. He finished eating, and at that very moment the same guy he was on shift with popped up behind him, also chewing some unknown desert. "We're going on an urgent call." He swallowed the mouthful, and Kurapika gave him a nervous sweat-drop smile. He wasn't doing alright, was he?

Kurapika quickly glanced at the remaining desert on his plate: he wrapped it up in a tissue and placed it on the table in front of Leorio's reserved seat. He blinked a few times and pulled out a paper and pen and wrote "Sunshine" on it, so Leorio would know who saved it for him. His face flushed a little at what he was subconsciously doing, but he quickly regained posture and left the hall. 

He wasn't unfamiliar with being called suddnely to duty; when he had been employed under some billionaire CEO, his daughter was getting into all kinds of trouble at the most ungodly hours of the day. But for the first time in a long time, this time made him feel uneasy, and incredibly lonely and monotone. What he wouldn't give to be eveloped in a certain man's arms. His lover, to be precise. 

"Lover". The word rolled off his tongue like how you would suck and bite into bulbous candy. It had that luscious and sweet taste too; but was sickly to him all the same. Kurapika did, in fact, have a sweet-tooth, so, he didn't mind it so much. It was still interesting for him to comprehend, and he kept reciting the word under his breath as he walked, lettting his thoughts fill in the ambigous gaps in the sentences that he tried to form, but not actually saying anything except that particular word.