3: Misunderstandings and Midnight Calls

About 2 days passed before Kurapika became restless. He got bored of sitting and flicking through various shitty channels on the TV. He occasionally looked out of the little window and out at the desk of bustling nurses and staff. He knew their shifts at this point, being as sharp as the blonde was.

He still, though, enjoyed the glimspes he would catch of Leorio as he passed, looking out of the window at him as he passed the corridor. He felt like some weirdo, staring at him through the tinted glass, but it's fine, it's not like anyone would know...

He jinxed it.

All the nurses that were regularly assigned to this ward gossiped about their relationship (there wasn't one, technically, but let Kurapika be delusional), discussing whether it was romantic or-

There was a familiar knocking at the door as the door was heaved open with a sigh. It was evening, and Kurapika was finished his hospital meal. 
Kurapika raised an eyebrow, to see Leorio standing by the door, and not the catering staff coming to collect his empty tray. "Leorio?"

"Hey, blondie," Leorio leaned on the closed door, a under his folded arms. He looked tired, and tilted his head back. "We need you out of here. The cops are on their way."

Kurapika sighed. "Right," He knew it was inevitable. "When do I leave?"
"Where do you leave to, Kurapika?" Leorio said. "Got anywhere to go? I'll drive ya. But to answer your question, asap."
Kurapika shook his head. "No, I'll pick up a room in a motel or something,"

There was a pause.

"Thanks, anyway." Kurapika continued, earning a disapproving look from Leorio. It would go back to how it had been before: Kurapika would disappear for years, not answering a single phone call or text or voice message, and still fucking failing to give Leorio his email address.

"What you thanking me for this early?" Leorio's words made Kurapika stop his advance of attempting to get down from the bed. "It's not over yet."

Kurapika looked at him like he was stupid. "I'm getting out of here. Not risking the cops."

"Then don't," Leorio said simply. "Come home with me."

...

Kurapika looked at him again, surprised but thankful nonetheless. It was a misinterpreted moment of silence, and Leorio suddenly flushed an interesting shade of red, waving his clipboard in dismissal.

"N-not like that!" Leorio raised his hands up in surrender, causing the blonde to laugh a bit . "I swear. The fuck would I ask you out in this situation anyway?"

Kurapika's laughter trailed off a bit and he raised his eyebrows in question, as if to say, so would you ask me out another time, then? But Kurapika would never say that out loud and instead said, wiping tears of laughter off his face, "Ok fine, I believe you."

This man... Kurapika stared at the doctor, taking in how his eyes closed when he laughed; and how he liked that. The actual kindness radiating off this man.
What did I do to deserve someone like this?

*************************************************
It was late in the evening, and Leorio was driving while Kurapika sat in the passenger seat.
"I don't know why you chose to sit here..." Leorio said while driving onto the motorway. "You could've slept in the backseat way more comfortably."

"Nah," Kurapika tore his eyes away from the window and looked in front of him. "This is way more comfortable; and besides, who said I was planning to sleep?"

Ring~ *(insert the default ring-tone here)*

"Eh?" Leorio glanced at the little screen above his dashboard. "Killua? What-"
Leorio pressed 'accept'. "Oy, Killua, what's going on-?"