Chapter Fourty Three

Nate was shirtless as we walked through the house party. He decided to throw his ruined T-shirt into the trash and people knew him well enough to move out of our way and not ask what had just happened outside.

No body wanted to get on the wrong side of Nate Jacobs.

He didn't stop for anyone.
We walked out of the house and went got into the truck.

He opened the back door and grabbed a hoody and put his hands in the sleeves but left it unzipped. My eyes greedily roamed his exposed body, his tan was getting darker and his brown hair was a little tousled but he still looked good.

The sudden change from being inside the humid house party to the fresh night air made my nipples immediately stiffen. I noticed, and so did he. I wasn't going to hide it, I found it sexy.

"Glad to be out of there." He said under his breath.

"Yeah. Me too." I muttered, remembering how uncomfortable it felt seeing how much Lexi was coming on to my ex. How he now had both her and Faye fawning over him. I didn't blame them, but I was trying not to let it get under my skin. It didn't help that Faye seemed to know Lexi pretty well at the party, showing she was clearly hanging around Fez's a lot now.

"Do you still feel like pizza?"

Nate's question completely pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Oh! Pizza sounds amaaa-zing." I sighed sitting into the plush passenger seat trying not to stress out about things I couldn't control right now.

"What the lady wants, the lady shall have." He said typing into the GPS for the nearest pizza place open this late.

"Do I even want to know what was about back there?" I said undoing the straps of my heels for a quick ankle break.

"Probably not." He said while reaching his long muscle bound arm to grab behind my seat while craning his neck as he expertly reversed.

"I hear congratulations are in order, you're a free man. You must be ecstatic." I tell him, genuinely hoping he felt better to be single. I feared dating Cassie was bringing him down a dark path, they were toxic. Maybe even more so than Maddy and he had ever been.

"I guess you could say that. She's staying back at her moms place but she still has some stuff at mine that I'm still waiting for her to pick up. I told her I want it all gone this weekend. Seems like she's stalling." He rolled his eyes. "I just couldn't take it anymore. She was screaming all this shit about how she was crazier than Maddy ever was and how she'd ruin my life if I left her so I was like this is over."

What a joke. The only persons life she ruined was her own.

"I don't give a fuck what she does at this point I just want a quiet nights sleep." He said laughing.

It was good to see him in a lighter mood for a change.

The bass on the stereo was vibrating as we drove fast down the darkened roads with the windows down.

I pretended to ignore the way Nate glancing down at my bare thighs was making my insides flutter. It felt good to know he wanted me...and he knew I wanted him to. It felt like we were both playing a dangerous game right now to see who would confess it first.

The roads weren't too busy at this time of night and as we approached that green, white and red sign up ahead my mouth started to water. I quickly slipped back on my heels and pulled down my dress as I hopped out of the truck. Me and this baby were hungry tonight.

We stepped inside the small pizzeria, you could tell this was the type where the decor was awful, the service was questionable but the food was phenomenal. My party dress immediately drew the attention of the all male kitchen staff.