Chapter Fifty

You know when you wake up and you just know it's going to be a bad day? Like when you open your eyes and feel an instant migraine.

That's how this day was going to be. I barely had the will to get out of bed.

I lay awake in bed for hours last night unable to sleep, thoughts racing through my brain and how to handle the fact that Cassie told the entire student body I was pregnant. The embarrassment and pain I felt last quickly fermented into anger over night and I used it like fuel as I got dressed for school. I was determined to go even though I knew it would be brutal. I put on my makeup and listened to music, Nate chose to give me some space. I chose not to hide the marks around my neck, I wanted everyone to see them and know it wasn't enough to stop me.

I admired my outfit in the mirror, a cute pink strap halter top and gingham mini skirt with a little Vivienne Westwood pearl choker

I admired my outfit in the mirror, a cute pink strap halter top and gingham mini skirt with a little Vivienne Westwood pearl choker. I quickly straightened my hair and made a zig zag parting, tying it up and geling it down. I thought I looked good but when I turned to the side my curvier profile made me anxious.

"You think he's going to wanna be with you when you look like a fat fucking pig in a couple of months?"

Cassie's taunts rang in my mind as I glanced down at my figure in the mirror. My tummy was protruding a little. But I knew it was going to be a lot more noticeable very soon and I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared of people judging me and looking and me differently. Especially Nate. I didn't know how he would react when I looked completely different. 

He was caring and loving to me all night, but once the cold light of morning hit it felt like things were a little more blurry. He was hurt, I was hurt and I couldn't stand it.

Nate had let me use the shower first so I had time to do my hair and makeup. It felt like he was giving me space, which was probably for the best. It wasn't long before my growling stomach forced me to head downstairs to the kitchen.

"You okay hun?" Marsh asks buttering toast.

"Yeah." I reply sullenly, grabbing a banana with little interest.

"You're going to crack your molars if you keep clenching your jaw so hard." Marsha said pouring me a glass of orange juice.

She stilled, clutching the carton of juice. I felt her eyes on my marked neck. "What happened last night? Did...did Nate do that to you?" Her voice was a horrified whisper.

"No! No never!" I looked at her with insistence. "It was Cassie, we got into a fight because...she...she told the entire school I'm pregnant." I said trying not to get emotional chewing a prenatal gummy, the words leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

"That little bitch," Marsha shook her head, "I never understood why Nate wasted his time on an airhead like her. She's the type of girl men only like from the waist down, and thankfully my son realized that pretty quickly."