[04] A Serendipitous Encounter

"Are you heading to the roof again, (Y/N)?"

You turn back, hearing Huai'an's exasperated sigh. "Yup! Is there anything you need me to do?" 

He shook his head. "No, there is no need... but–" he pauses in thought. "It's been a week now, isn't it? Quite surprising how Xiao hasn't shown himself to you at this point."

 "Ah..." you chuckle sheepishly. "You think so?"

He nods. "If he didn't mind your company, he would have honored your wish to see him by now. Otherwise, he would have given you the warning to leave. But he has done neither." 

Your lips pursed into a thin line. "So... does he just not want to see me?" you asked. 

"Unfortunately, I don't know..."

You nod, thinking about what he said. "Well... even if that's the case, I'll still come and visit. I don't want to stop until he personally tells me to leave!" A chuckle escapes your lips as you said that.

Huai'an, meanwhile, bursts into laughter. "You're a lot more stubborn than I thought!" he exclaims, a huge grin on his face. "I'll tell you what, why don't I put you on kitchen duty tomorrow?"

"Kitchen duty? I have no problem cooking, but I don't know much about Liyue cuisine," you reply, furrowing your brows in confusion. 

"It's no problem! I just want to help you see him."

You tilt your head as you connect the dots. "You... want me to bring Xiao something to eat...?"

"Yes, that's right! Since Xiao is an Adeptus, one of the ways we can comfort him is by offering food." 

'Adeptus?? Is this what Verr meant by Liyue legend?'

"An Adeptus, what does that mean?" 

Huai'an paused, staring at you in bewilderment before realization hit. "Ah, Goldet hasn't told you then?"

You shook your head.

Huai'an closes his eyes, crossing his arms over his chest in thought. "Hmm... It's a little complicated to explain. But in simple terms, Adeptus Xiao is Liyue's protector. An Illuminated Beast that fights demons plaguing the land."

"D-Demons?!"

He smiles at your reaction. "That's right. Now, if Xiao doesn't show up again today, you can whip up something to bring to him tomorrow! Smiley Yanxiao will be there to help." he says, giving you a thumbs up. 

"Ahh, I see. Thank you so much, Huai'an!" You smile warmly as you bow. "Have a good evening!"

As Huai'an waved goodbye and left, you replay the conversation in your head.

'Just as I thought. Xiao... he's not human.'

___________________

The next morning, you step into the kitchen. Immediately, a savory scent wafts over as you notice all the shelves and counters filled to the brim with ingredients. In the middle of everything stood a tall and muscular man busying himself in front of the stove. 

It didn't take long for him to notice you. "Hey! You can't just waltz into the– Oh... you must be (Y/N), right?"

"U-Uh!" You were taken aback by his immediate switch in tone. "Yeah... and you must be Smiley Yanxiao. Huai'an said I'll be working with you today."

He sighs. "Right. Can you cook?" 

"Yes, but I'm not familiar with Liyue cuisine."

"Hmmm..." Yanxiao closes his eyes in deep thought. "Alright, then just help me out while I cook the dishes," he says, before narrowing his eyes at you. "Slow me down, and I'll kick you out." 

You gulp. "O-Okay, I'll try my best!" 

_ _ _

By the end of the day, you were very much exhausted. 

'I think my arms are gonna be sore tomorrow...'  you thought as you slowly stretched them out.

Beside you, Yanxiao gives a nod of approval. "I'm impressed, (Y/N). I got more things done with your help today. You have my thanks," he says.

You looked up at him in shock. 'Really?!'

"Anyways, I heard from Huai'an that you wanna meet Adeptus Xiao. Take this." Yanxiao goes over to the kitchen counter, picking up a fork and a plate of food before handing it to you. "Give this to him. It's pretty much the only thing he can stomach around here."

You look down at the plate, seeing white, gelatinous cubes dipped in sweet-smelling sauce. "It's the Almond Tofu I helped you make earlier!" You raised a brow. "But I thought this was for the customer?"

"That's right. It is for a customer." He gives you a knowing look. "And it's your job to bring it to him." 

Realization hits as your eyes widen. "I..."

"Alright, now get out. And don't saunter in here unless the Boss or Innkeeper say so." He scoffs, turning his back and making his way to the stove. 

A touched smile brightens your exhausted face as you hold the Almond tofu in your hands. "Thank you, chef!" you bow, before making your way out of the kitchen.

Yanxiao watches you through the corner of his eye, lips curling into a small smile. "Welcome."

_ _ _

By the time you reached the roof, the sun had already sunk under the horizon. Faint rays of light remain as the sky darkens into a pink and purple hue.

"Sorry I came in a little late today, Xiao." You let out a deep sigh. "I brought something for you to eat! I heard it was your favorite."

Again, no response. Only the faintest sound of crickets in the distance. 

You look down at the food, a sad smile making its way to your face. 'I guess this is no good either, huh?' A small sigh escapes your lips as you tighten your grip around the plate.

Suddenly, a small gust of wind blew forth, blowing your hair to the side ever so slightly. You widen your eyes, keeping your hair in place with one hand as you look to the source of the wind. 

Then you saw him again. 

An audible gasp escapes you as he appears by your side, hair and clothes flowing with the wind before the air went still once more. 

"X-Xiao?!" 

He was looking ahead, amber eyes almost glowing despite the dark skies. As you found yourself transfixed by his ethereal aura, your heart could only beat faster as thick silence transpired between the both of you. 

Finally, he spares you a glance. He wore a seemingly neutral expression, but you knew those eyes too well to see that they held a tinge of confusion.

He opens his mouth, a deep and calming voice filling your ears. "Why do you persist?"