[23] The Need to Protect

Xiao's eyes widened. "Teach you... how to fight?" 

You raised your head, nodding profusely. "Yes! I want to learn how to fight off demons, too!"

A few moments of silence passed as you looked at Xiao with pleading eyes. Eventually, he opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. You tilted your head in confusion, noticing how he seemed to be staring off into the distance, looking at nowhere in particular as his expression slowly turned into a deep frown. 

"...Xiao?"

"No." He finally focused his gaze back on you. "I can't let you do that," he says sternly, brows knitted tightly together. 

"What? Why not?"  

He shook his head. "You can't. It's too dangerous." 

"Well... but I'll be able to fight and defend myself! I could even help you!"

"I can do all that on my own, (Y/N). I don't need help."

You frowned at those words. "But you keep getting hurt, Xiao!" you exclaimed, inhaling sharply. "You're in constant pain too, aren't you? Let me help you!" You leaned closer as you glared at him.

He falls silent, eyes widening ever-so-slightly. "You..." he mumbles, sighing and looking away. 

'You never change.'

"Please, Xiao!" you continued, practically begging at this point. 

Xiao lets out a deep sigh, before getting on his feet. "You can't."

"But–"

"You're too weak, (Y/N)."

"That's exactly why I want to get stronger! So please–"

"And if the Karmic Debt becomes too much for you to handle?" Xiao turns to you with a cold glare. "Then what?"

This time, you fell silent, biting your lip as you looked down at your lap. 

"You're just a human, without even a Vision to help you. Letting you fight would only endanger your life." 

Your shoulders tensed up as his words slowly dug their way into your heart. "I know," you mumbled. "I'm weak, but–" You stood up, coming face-to-face with him. "I don't want you to get hurt anymore..."

Xiao pursed his lips, seeing tears form at the corner of your eyes again. "Believe me. I'll be fine," he says, a little more gentle this time. "I've been enduring this for millennia. This is nothing new to me."

But he knew from your expression, his words did nothing to comfort you. He sighs deeply, calmly, but there was no mistaking the way his hands were balled into fists. 

'I can't let the same thing happen again. If you turn to the darkness, I'll have to–'

"Forget it. Don't talk to me about this again." Xiao shook his head, before turning away. "Just let me protect you, just as I always have."

"Huh?!" Your eyes widened. "No, Xiao! I want to–"

"Picking up a sword should be the least of your troubles, (Y/N)," he continues, sparing you one glance from the corner of his eye. "Besides, you're quite a big help already..." he mumbled, before walking further and further.

Sadly, it was too soft for you to hear. 

"Wait, where are you going?" You ran towards him, quickly wrapping your arms around his waist from behind.

Xiao nearly jumped at your touch. "(Y/N)..?"

"Don't go! You have too many injuries to be moving around."