[07] An Unusual Human

A deep sigh left your lips as you stopped to catch your breath. 

'I never knew the inn could get this busy!' you thought, scanning through the numerous guests dining at the tables outside. 

You took a few deep breaths, before spotting Huai'an from the corner of your eye. 

"(Y/N)!" he calls, beckoning you over to him. 

"Oh, Huai'an!" you greet him with a wave, before jogging over to him. "Do you need help with something?"

He nods. "Goldet will explain the details. For now, come with me upstairs," he says, motioning for you to follow with his hand. 

You widen your eyes. "Ah, but... the restaurant!" With a worried frown, you glance back only to see Yuhua, the Wangshu Inn waitress, back to work and quickly tending to the guests. 

"Yuhua will take over from here! Thank you for taking over while she was gone." Huai'an smiles.

A sigh of relief escapes you. "No problem!" you smile back. 

_ _ _ 

"You want me to go to Liyue Harbor?"   

Verr nods. "We need you to pick up some things from Bubu Pharmacy. Here is the list and a map for your guidance." She hands you a piece of paper. "Also, you may explore the Harbor for a bit before coming back. I don't mind." 

Your eyes widen as you stare at the paper, then back at Verr. "Really? You'll let me roam around?" Excitement bubbles up from within as your eyes sparkle. 

Verr's lips crack into a small smile. "I hope you enjoy your short trip." 

You burst into a wide grin. "Thank you, boss!" You bow deeply, before running off to prepare to go out. 

Verr chuckles from under her breath, watching you rush to your room as her laughter faded into silence. 

Strangely enough, she just stands there all alone, a small smirk playing on her lips. "...You're worried about her. Am I wrong?" she says to nobody in particular.

A few more moments of silence pass, before a burst of black and green flames appear in front of her. 

Verr watches as Xiao appears. He wasn't facing her, looking instead at the direction you ran off to with crossed arms.

"I noticed you've been watching her lately," Verr continues. 

Xiao looks at her from the corner of his amber eyes. "Why are you sending her alone?" 

She simply shrugs. "I see no problem in doing so," she says. "If you're concerned, why don't you accompany her?"

The Adeptus merely stares at her in silence, gaze piercing through her soul. 

"Adeptus Xiao–"

"You did this on purpose," he says with the slightest hint of annoyance. He turns to her,  disappearing into thin air.

Verr widens her eyes, staring at the spot where he once stood.

______________  

"I never knew Liyue had so many ruins..." you wondered, gazing at the eroding structures resting at Guili Plains. "Why, though? Maybe Xiao would know...?" you mumbled to yourself.

You continued forth as a soft wind blew, bringing with it fresh air and the smell of Sandbearer trees. Eventually, you spot the signature red roofs of the Harbor. Your eyes widened as you picked up the pace. Fiery red trees and green-roofed gates came into view. Before you knew it, you were standing at the edge of a cliff, giving you a clear view of the numerous ships and piers jutting out from the harbor. It was something you've never seen before.