[11] The Wise Guest

"Alatus? By any chance, are you an Adeptus?"

The golden bird nodded. "That's right. I assume you've heard of me, then?"

"Woah...!" you gasped, eyes practically sparkling as they darted up and down his majestic form. "Yeah, but this is my first time seeing an Adeptus!" you exclaimed, completely awestruck as you stared at him. 

Alatus tilted his head, confused by the childlike excitement in your eyes. "You're an odd one," he stated.

"Eh?? How??" The smile on your face fell, replaced with a look of disbelief. 

"I am an Adeptus, after all. Mortals are particularly careful around the presence of one." he sighed, staring up at the moon as his feathers glimmered under its light. "I don't understand why they act in such a way, but what's even more confusing is–" he looked back at you. "You, a mortal, are not doing the same." 

Your eyes widened. "Oh..! I'm sorry if you found that disrespectful!" you exclaimed in a panic.

He shook his head. "Not at all."

"Ah, thank goodness!" you breathed a sigh of relief. "Sorry about that... I just think you look so cool!" 

"Cool..?" 

You nodded. "Yeah! I come to this forest once in a while. We should talk more often!" you said, giving him a bright smile. "I think we'd be great friends."

'Friend... a mortal has never called me that before.' The golden bird's eyes widened at your sincere gaze. There was no trace of an ulterior motive behind them.

He leaned forward to meet your eye level. "Alright. I'll be looking forward to your next visit,"  he said, eyes softening as if he were smiling.  

'Mortals are difficult to understand. But this woman... I'd like to know more about her.'

___________________

You woke up to an empty room with Wei nowhere to be found. Instead, you heard a noise coming from outside. An unfamiliar voice.

'It's rare for guests to be up this early... unless it's because of Lantern Rite?' you wondered, climbing out of bed to quickly get ready. 'Better see what it's all about!' 

After fixing yourself up, you discreetly opened your door, leaving it ajar. Sure enough, as you peeked through the small crack, a man you didn't know caught your attention. His back was turned to you, allowing you to see his long, dark hair tied into a low ponytail at the back. He wore a brown tailcoat embellished with various details, giving him a more refined and formal aura. In front of him, you could see Verr behind the counter as usual, seemingly having a casual conversation with him. 

Struck with curiosity, you left your room to approach the mysterious guest. 

"Is he here today?" You heard the man ask. 

Verr nodded. "He should be on the roof as usual. You may proceed there if you wish." 

You froze, furrowing your brows in confusion. 'The roof? Isn't that where Xiao–'

"Alright. Thank you," he gives a small nod of acknowledgment before turning around. He stops in his tracks upon meeting your gaze. 

'He's a lot taller than I expected!'  you thought, finding yourself craning your neck higher than usual to get a closer look.'And his eyes... It's just like the color of the Geo element...'  

Meanwhile, the man merely stared at you, a look of shock evident in his widened eyes. You raised a brow, wondering why he looked at you that way when you have never even seen him before.