[10] A Quiet Promise

Not even a minute later, you hear loud, persistent knocking on your door. "(Y/N)? I heard you're awake!" 

'Boss??' Your eyes widened at the sound of her voice. It was loud, way louder than usual. Her usually professional tone was gone, replaced with a sense of urgency you never expected. 

"Yeah, come in!" you yelled out, loud enough for her to hear. 

Your door swung open, revealing Verr and Huai'an on the other side. A huge sigh of relief left their lips as they met your gaze. "Thank the Archons...!" 

You found yourself confused, watching as they approached your bedside. "Boss...? And Huai'an too..."

"You're finally awake! How are you?" Huai'an asks, worry evident in his voice.

"I'm okay..." 

"We heard everything from Xiao, (Y/N)." Verr places a hand on her chest, sighing in relief. "Thank goodness you're alright now."

Your eyes widened as Huai'an gave you a gentle pat on the head. 'Ah... they were worried for me...'  you thought, a sweet smile making its way to your face from the warmth of your co-workers. "Thank yo–"

Suddenly, something zoomed past the door. You blinked in surprise, feeling something settle on your lap.

"Wei?!" Verr's eyes went wide. 

'Wei..? The cat?' You look down, seeing the same black and white cat on your lap. It meowed, looking right at you and blinking a few times. 

"It must've been worried, too, Goldet," Huai'an chuckles. "I didn't know it took a liking to her!"

Verr narrows her eyes at Wei. "Hmm, as long as it doesn't cause any trouble. Though I'm highly doubtful of that..."

Your smile grows brighter as you watch them. "I'm sure Wei will behave this time, Boss!" you reassure her while petting the cat's head. "Oh! And thank you all for taking the time to check on me!" You hoped to give a proper bow, but there's not much movement you can do while stuck in bed with a cat after all. Instead, you settled with dipping your head downwards.

They chuckle at your attempt. "Though you only work for the Inn, you've been living with all of us here. You're important to us, too," Huai'an says, while Verr nods in agreement.

You lifted your head, staring at them both with widened eyes. "I... Thank you..." 

Verr nods, before turning to leave. "Rest well, alright? If you need any medicine, call us. We've fully stocked now thanks to you." She smiles, making her way towards the door. 

"And if you need more time to rest, it's fine if you don't show up for work tomorrow." Huai'an follows.

You quickly shake your head in protest. "Oh no, it's fine! I'm sure I'll be at my 100% by tomorrow, so I'll see you then!" You give them a thumbs up. 

After exchanging a few more words, the couple leaves you to rest. They gently shut your door, leaving Wei to keep you company. 

Glancing down, you were met with its big, yellow eyes. "And I'm guessing you're staying here?"

Wei merely nuzzles up against you, much to your delight. "Sure! But I'm gonna try to rest a little, so don't make me chase you around again, okay?" 

You lean back into the pillows, resting a hand on Wei's back. 'Come to think of it, there's a cat just like Wei showing up in my dreams lately... just like earlier!'

As you shut your eyes, blurred images started flashing through your head. Black, dark green, and Wei. They were all from your dream earlier, yet you struggled to remember the details.