[30] Despite the Risk of Danger

"(Y/N)? Do you know where our Violetgrasses are?" Baizhu peeked inside the small room within the Pharmacy, where he usually did most of his work. Well, it was solely his workspace until you came along. 

You sat inside, fiddling around with various medicinal herbs. Weirdly enough, you didn't seem to hear him. 

The white snake around his neck stared right at you, but you still didn't notice. It was as if you were in your own bubble of reality. 

'How strange. She's usually quite attentive,' Baizhu thought.  

Finally, the snake hissed at you. "Don't tell me you're just as absentminded as that zombie girl."

The sound of her voice snapped you out of your trance. You sat there, confused, before noticing Baizhu and Changsheng from your peripheral vision. "Ah! Sorry, I got too preoccupied!" Your eyes widened as you stood up and bowed in apology. 

'I still can't get used to the fact that Changsheng talks,' you thought to yourself, nearly shivering at the memory of when you first heard her voice. 

Baizhu chuckles. "It's fine. We all have those moments," he says. "Do you know where the Violetgrasses are?" 

You tilted your head. "Violetgrasses? They should be on the usual shelf..." You left the room, walking past the taller male to check on the shelves behind Bubu Pharmacy's counter. 

'Huh? It's not here?'

"Uhh..." Qiqi wanders in, carrying something neatly packaged in fabric. "Qiqi found these lying around... but I don't remember what it's for..."

Your eyes widened. "Oh! Those are the Violetgrasses!" you gasped, taking the bundle from her. "I'm sorry, I must have forgotten to put them on the shelf yesterday!"

Qiqi's eyes widened slightly. "Is (Y/N) becoming forgetful like me...?"

"I hope not!" You chuckled while Qiqi returned a small smile. 

Meanwhile, Baizhu takes the Violetgrasses from you. "Thank you, (Y/N) and little Qiqi," he smiles. "I'll be taking this to my office inside. I need to rest and work on my research for a while..." 

You turned to Baizhu with concern. "Are you feeling alright, Dr. Baizhu?"

He nods. "You know how weak my constitution is. This is nothing unusual," he says. Then, his eyes widened as if remembering something. "Oh, (Y/N). Since I've taught you everything I know about Adepti medicine, I was wondering if you'd be interested in something I've been working on."

"Oh, I..." You bit your lip in hesitation. "Actually, Dr. Baizhu... I don't plan on learning anything aside from Adepti medicine," you said. "Oh! But I'd still like to thank you for everything you've taught me! You've been a great help!" You flashed him a grateful smile. 

Baizhu's eyes widened. "Are you sure? You're an incredibly fast learner. It shouldn't be much of an issue for you."

"I've actually been meaning to try something else." You took a deep breath. "What I'm doing is not enough to help him anymore..." you said, voice barely above a whisper. 

Baizhu drops his gaze. "I see. What a shame," he mumbles, returning to the small room. But before he shuts the door, he turns to you one last time. "The Adeptus you're helping must be extremely lucky to have you," he says with a gentle smile, before finally closing the door. 

You stare at the closed door in confusion. 'That smile... he looked a little disappointed.' 

But before you could dwell on the thought, Qiqi gingerly pulled on your sleeve. "Qiqi's notebook says that he'll probably be in there the rest of the day..."