[25] Taking Off the Mask

"Are you sure about this? Human medicine doesn't work on me." 

You chuckled as you continued wrapping a bandage around Alatus' arm. "Don't worry! The ointment I made is way more potent than what I would give to my usual patients. It's made specifically for you." You smiled, securing the bandage with small clips at the end. "All done!"

Alatus blinked in surprise. "For me?" he repeated, examining his bandaged arm. "How did you find the time to do this?"

"Well... I've been working on that for a while now, actually." You smiled sheepishly. "I just never told you about it."

He stared at you, dumbfounded. "But... why? You know Adepti can heal themselves quickly. Medicine like this isn't really needed." 

"I know, but... it still hurts for you, right?" You gently took his hand, double-checking the bandages on his arm. "Plus, I had free time when I came up with the idea, so it's not that big of a deal." 

"(Y/N), you..." He sighed. 'You say that, but the bags under your eyes beg to differ,' he thought. 

"Anyways, how are you feeling? Do you think it's working?" Your eyes turned hopeful as you looked at him. 

Alatus paused, running a hand through the neatly wrapped bandages. "I'm starting to feel a cool sensation," he noted. "It's quite soothing, actually." 

Your eyes sparkled in excitement. "Really?!" you gasped. "That's good! That means it's working! Your wound can heal even faster, then!"

Alatus hummed. "I'm impressed. There aren't many ingredients that serve as medicine to us Adepti." He looked at you. "How did you make it?" 

You giggled. "That's a secret!" 

"...What?" 

"Oh! I think I could also come up with a painkiller using similar ingredients." You put a finger to your chin in thought. "I could make it work for you, but I'm gonna have to tweak the recipe if I wanna use it on my patients..."

As you rambled away, Alatus leaned against a tree trunk with a sigh. 'Well, she seems happy, at least,' he thought, smiling as he watched you get lost in your ideas. 'I just hope she doesn't risk her own health by doing this.' His smile fades as he looks up at the sky, still as dark and cloudy as ever. 

______________________

His eyes shot open as he sat up in a jolt. 

"Xiao! You're finally awake!" You heaved a huge sigh of relief. 

As you sat facing him, your previously tense body relaxed as if a huge weight was lifted off your shoulders. 

Xiao's eyes widened upon seeing you there. He immediately scanned his surroundings, realizing that he was still on Wangshu Inn's rooftop as the setting sun cast long shadows of the both of you onto the wooden floor.  

"Are you okay? How are you feeling?" You looked at him with worry in your eyes. 

He furrows his brows. "I'm alright. I must have fallen asleep," he says, propping his forehead in the palm of his hand to calm the dull headache he felt. That's when he noticed something wrapped around his right forearm. 

"...What's this?" Xiao sat upright to examine the neat bandages wrapped around it. 

"Well, when I came in here... you were passed out with this huge gash on your arm that definitely wasn't there last time," you sigh. "So, I bandaged it."